Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I have been trying to find out where i can find the harvest areas on the Montana fwp website but i cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where i can find this information.
Contact region 3 headquarters and ask for 300 harvest data, and call region 5 headquarters and ask for 500 data if you are interested in those units. They can email to you.

Anyone else worried that Montana House Bill 390 might actually pass? It would make limited entry sheep licenses once in a lifetime harvest. So anyone looking to get a 2nd sheep in Montana would have to hunt the unlimiteds. This could drastically increase competition in the unlimiteds. I think it's an awful idea.

I agree.

Who wants to bet Representative Denley M. Loge, the bill's primary sponsor, has 20 points and is upset that he hasn't drawn a tag yet?

Whatever happens, hopefully Shawn will figure out a way to keep the unlimiteds viable. Obviously no change would be the best outcome. If it does pass, I'd rather them just make it one sheep and you're done hunting sheep altogether in Montana. In my opinion, that's better than having 500 people per unit hunting 2 rams per unit in the unlimiteds.

Last edited:
I'm plum happy with exploring the units with maybe 65 to 85 tag holders, I'm not interested in exploring the units with 500 or 850 people. If that happens those units will either shut down or become a draw. Just like the 302, 305 areas around Big Sky in the 80s.

...theres a reason that we have this special opportunity to hunt the unlimited units and most of it is all thanks to Shawn Stewart who is one of the top sheep biologist in the nation. The way he has it layed out with the quotas/seasons/boundaries/ so on and so forth is absolutely genius. Don't go changin something that doesn't need changing, because one day it may not exist. To me this hunt is a blessing and the only one of its kind. I can't see any change benefits.

I agree 1000%!

Leave the MSG regs alone.

If politicians insist on dicking with stuff they know nothing about, make all the districts OIL to at least preserve the opportunity and experience...I'd rather spend a lifetime in the unlimiteds looking for one special ram than lose the privilege altogether.

I agree.

Who wants to bet Representative Denley M. Loge, the bill's primary sponsor, has 20 points and is upset that he hasn't drawn a tag yet?

Whatever happens, hopefully Shawn will figure out a way to keep the unlimiteds viable. Obviously no change would be the best outcome. If it does pass, I'd rather them just make it one sheep and you're done hunting sheep altogether in Montana. In my opinion, that's better than having 500 people per unit hunting 2 rams per unit in the unlimiteds.
Denley did draw the cutoff unit and killed a very nice ram so he has probably around zero points.

Shawn Stewart is the person that made it possible for a poor country boy from the foothills of North Carolina to have a chance to hunt Big Horn Sheep. THANK you Mr. Stewart I will always be GRATEFUL . THANK YOU, THANK YOU Mr. Unlimited. I sure hope our paths will cross someday so I can thank you in person.

Last edited:
Anyone else worried that Montana House Bill 390 might actually pass? It would make limited entry sheep licenses once in a lifetime harvest. So anyone looking to get a 2nd sheep in Montana would have to hunt the unlimiteds. This could drastically increase competition in the unlimiteds. I think it's an awful idea.

It looks like HB390 was tabled as of 3/14. Hopefully it dies there...

Hopefully so.

Since they changed the regs where I won't lose my bonus points by doing so, I decided to do the District #300 unlimited bighorn hunt again this year. Although it probably means that the big rams are still in the park, I do like the early Sept 1-10th season so that all the other hunting I do is not impacted. Last year was my first go-round with the unlimited hunt and honestly I regarded it as an extended scouting/learning trip. I actually saw sheep every day but nary a mature ram, but still had an absolutely wonderful time and experience up in the high country. This year I expect will still be just learning more of the country and observing. As in one of Duncan Gilchrist's books, I looked upon this as a multi-year project from the beginning. But, as my Dad used to say, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then."

Anyone else going for #300 this year?

Hello everyone,

Ive been following this thread for awhile now. Decided to finally sign up as a member, now that Ive applied and will be hunting the unlimiteds this fall. Ive done a ton of research, Im an avid back country hunter, but have only recently gotten the sheep addiction. Last year I went on my first sheep hunt. I applied for a limited ewe tag because I just wanted to see what all the hype was about sheep hunting. I drew the tag on my first year attempt, went all DIY and notched my tag on an 11 year old ewe with my bow. In doing so I learned what all the hype is about....Im hooked.

Hunting the unlimiteds to me will be about experiencing more sheep hunting, and just being in sheep country. You all will probably think im crazy or just dumb, but ill be doing it with my bow. Not that im against rifle hunting at all. I may go this fall and decide that the only way ill ever go back is with a rifle, but for now I cant think of a bigger accomplishment than notching an unlimited tag with archery equipment.

Ive acquired a ton of knowledge already from a handful of guys that have been there and that are good enough to help a new guy out. On top of that Ive done a ton of my own homework.

The only questions I have left are ones that can only be answered by going and doing it myself. So im not hear to ask a bunch of questions, but rather to be able to add to the stories, and add to the wealth of knowledge thats on this site.

My 2018 Ewe

Attachments

• IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Congratulations. My wife drew a ewe tag for district 213 over by Anaconda 10 years ago and we both got a really enjoyable hunt out of it. She hunted three days with her bow and finally got a shot but missed clean. Came back and got a 13-year-old dry ewe on the first day of rifle season. I wish you luck. I did see one bow hunter after sheep last year (only saw 4 other hunters). Myself, I figure I'll have my hands full just getting within 300 yards of one!

Good luck! If I ever get one, I’ll be back with my bow after 7 years. I think it’s doable really.

Congrats on the ewe with a bow! I have never been much of a rifle hunter but the unlimiteds is one exception. If that miraculous day ever comes that I punch an unlimited tag, guaranteed the next time I'm back it will be with bow in hand. But I try and never think that far ahead. ;)

I wonder what the success rate with a bow is.... it probably takes the 2 percent chance of successful harvest and turns it into a .002 chance. Unless your in 303.....

Congrats on the ewe. I to have been following this thread for a long time. Decided to try the unlimited this year myself, seems like a huge challenge. Going to be using a rifle though as I've been out of the archery for a few years. Just wondering if anyone knows how many tags have been sold for this coming season for each unlimited unit?

I am also heading to the unlimiteds for the first time this year and would find it interesting to see how many tags have been purchased for each unit. Though from the sounds of things a high percentage of people that purchase a tag don't end up hunting very long or don't go at all. If anyone find the information please share.

It’s too soon to know. Many people get them through the ‘application’ process then have a bit of time once results are released in a few weeks to actually buy the tag.
A good guess would be around 70-80 per unit like usual. Most of which never go hunting.

Sounds like someone could make a killing with a hot dog stand at the trailhead this year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back