Caribou Gear

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I wager you had something more persuasive than additional rocks for backup.

By the way, how did you do in those sheep hunts? (I realize the answer might be somewhere in the almost 100 pages of this thread that I have already read, but I hope you'll indulge me in view of memory issues attending my advanced age and expanding tasks list.)
Yes, both stories are buried somewhere in this Forum.

Short story on the grizz is a couple of friends and I were camped at the end of a logging road north of West Yellowstone, MT hunting moose and elk. We had the quarters of a moose and 2 elk hanging in the back of my pickup.

Just before going to bed one night I went put of the tent to check my horses. I first stopped on the side if the road to water a bush, and about 30' above me on the top of the cutbank, a grizzly woofed and clicked his teeth at me.

I had a flashlight in my left hand and drew my Ruger SBH .44 mag with me right. I shot once over the bear's head and no reaction. I fired again into a tree next to him. Again no reaction, so I holstered my pistol and picked up a golf size rock and threw and hit him, and he ran off.

He wore a neck radio collar and an ear tag. He had been a problem bear near Cooke City and had been trapped and relocated where we were camped.

As for my unlimited sheep hunts, I hunted 4 or 5 of the units about 10 times in the '80s and '90s and killed 3 of my own rams and finished off another ram that another hunter had wounded and lost. There are pics of my rams somewhere in this thread, their mounts in my thread "48 years of Memories" in the Trophy Rooms section of this Forum.

Last edited:
Yes, both stories are buried somewhere in this Forum.

Short story on the grizz is a couple of friends and I were camped at the end of a logging road north of West Yellowstone, MT hunting moose and elk. We had the quarters of a moose and 2 elk hanging in the back of my pickup.

Just before going to bed one night I went put of the tent to check my horses. I first stopped on the side if the road to water a bush, and about 30' above me on the top of the cutbank, a grizzly woofed and clicked his teeth at me.

I had a flashlight in my left hand and drew my Ruger SBH .44 mag with me right. I shot once over the bear's head and no reaction. I fired again into a tree next to him. Again no reaction, so I holstered my pistol and picked up a golf size rock and threw and hit him, and he ran off.

He wore a neck radio collar and an ear tag. He had been a problem bear near Cooke City and had been trapped and relocated where we were camped.

As for my unlimited sheep hunts, I hunted 4 or 5 of the units about 10 times in the '80s and '90s and killed 3 of my own rams and finished off another ram that another hunter had wounded and lost. There are pics of my rams somewhere in this thread, their mounts in my thread "48 years of Memories" in the Taxidermy section of this Forum.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the mounts.

Looks like Montana HB202 (which would have made moose, sheep (non-unlimited areas), and goat once-in-a-lifetime) was tabled in the senate fish and game committee. Denley Loge, the bills sponsor, even admitted it would do nothing to improve draw odds but would only improve the appearance of fairness. I guess the committee saw the bill as pointless after that statement. I hope the bill dies on the table. And I hope Denley doesn't try this bill again in the future for the third time.

Last edited:
Looks like Montana HB202 (which would have made moose, sheep (non-unlimited areas), and goat once-in-a-lifetime) was tabled in the senate fish and game committee. Denley Loge, the bills sponsor, even admitted it would do nothing to improve draw odds but would only improve the appearance of fairness. I guess the committee saw the bill as pointless after that statement. I hope the bill dies on the table. And I hope Denley doesn't try this bill again in the future for the third time.
Thank you for the update!

Yes, Thank you for the update! It would have had almost no impact on draw odds for MSG in Montana, but would have had an immense impact on the unlimited districts and the conservation efforts of the biologists who have made this unique opportunity happen for us to enjoy. Anyone who supports the unlimited sheep hunts in Montana should crack a cold one when HB 202 is officially buried, and then go hunt some sheep!

Today (3/16/2021) Denley Loge urged the senate fish and game committee to pick HB202 back up off the table, re-discuss, and vote. Denley thought the committee misunderstood the bill and that it was intended to be OIL harvest not OIL holding the tag. The committee said they understood the wording of the bill and were not interested in discussing the bill again. Another step in the right direction. :)

Today (3/16/2021) Denley Loge urged the senate fish and game committee to pick HB202 back up off the table, re-discuss, and vote. Denley thought the committee misunderstood the bill and that it was intended to be OIL harvest not OIL holding the tag. The committee said they understood the wording of the bill and were not interested in discussing the bill again. Another step in the right direction. :)
Hahaaa. Did you watch this live?

Live online. Denley had one of the committee members re-propose it for him. Dude, let it go, let it die!

Denley’s other bill to eliminate infants building bonus points will do way more to increase draw odds than OIL.
Do you happen to know which bill would eliminate infants from building bonus points?

Do you happen to know which bill would eliminate infants from building bonus points?
HB120

It passed the house 99-1, fish and game committee 6-0, and senate 50-0, so it’s on track to become law.

If you’re not old enough to hunt the tag then you can’t buy a point either.

Last edited:
HB120

It passed the house 99-1, fish and game committee 6-0, and senate 50-0, so it’s on track to become law.

If you’re not old enough to hunt the tag then you can’t buy a point either.
Well that sucks since I started buying my son points last year when he was 3 so that he would actually have an opportunity unlike most to draw specially since he will have to draw a very specific hunt with him having cp, mainly focused in his legs.

Well that sucks since I started buying my son points last year when he was 3 so that he would actually have an opportunity unlike most to draw specially since he will have to draw a very specific hunt with him having cp, mainly focused in his legs.
He will be able to keep those points already purchased. He cannot however accrue any more until he is able to hunt.

What nonsense in the interest of "optics!" Preparing to make some disparging remarks about liberals, I had to look up Loge's party affliation. Was shocked and disappointed to see that he calls himself a Republican.

What nonsense in the interest of "optics!" Preparing to make some disparging remarks about liberals, I had to look up Loge's party affliation. Was shocked and disappointed to see that he calls himself a Republican.
You’ll be really disappointed if you look up the sponsors of the other terrible bills this session.

Politics need not be the determining point in drawing a MSG tag. IMHO ONLY, if one of these tags is drawn in MT it should be a once in a lifetime opportunity for that particular animal. Regardless if one has been successful or not. These tags are so blasted difficult for anyone, resident or otherwise, it should be but once. My opinion only. Do not give a hoot what the politicians have to say. MTG

Politics need not be the determining point in drawing a MSG tag. IMHO ONLY, if one of these tags is drawn in MT it should be a once in a lifetime opportunity for that particular animal. Regardless if one has been successful or not. These tags are so blasted difficult for anyone, resident or otherwise, it should be but once. My opinion only. Do not give a hoot what the politicians have to say. MTG

Maybe the 4th? time will be the charm in 2023

It seems like that is a common theme. The opinion of the once in a lifetime tag. I think the better way would be increase the supply side not try and decrease the demand for the tags. MT wild sheep has been working on this with the recent transplants and there goal of "Putting and keeping sheep on the mountains".

But since this thread is about the unlimited districts/hunts I think you have to also mention the fact that even though so and so may have not drawn a sheep tag in there lifetime, they have had a opportunity to go sheep hunting. But have made the choice to put there ticket in the hat and wait for there number to be called. I decided I'm not going to wait for something that may or may not happen in a lifetime, IM gonna go hunting.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back