Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

only the ram knows where the ram lives....

Aint that the truth. I thought it was about time this thread got lit up again. I am probably like most, counting down the days!

Hopefully the fires in California subside before the season for you folks. As its stands now with the smoke and haze, a spotting scope is near useless and binos are maybe a questionable help.

Good luck, fellas, hopefully we get some stories.

Oh there will be stories......that I can assure you.......There is a good chance few if any will result in a putting a tag on an animal but there will be stories.

I went through my entire pack list last week and put everything in my pack this weekend (except food). Sealed my boots, cleaned my optics, oiled my tripod, charged everything you can charge, changed the rangefinder battery, might even silicon my tent seams so I can stay dry. Need to dent a primer in the near future to verify zero, do some food prep and off to find the tallest part of the unit and realize how old and out of shape I am........again........

Should be interesting to go from constant *115 in Phoenix to less than *30 in MT and 9,000 feet in elevation change in less than 2 days. The adjustment is always........exciting. Not counting but it is 27 days and I'll be heading into the land of torture once again.

I made it out on an over-nighter a little over a week ago down the Boulder looking for sheep or goats. Ended up getting hit by thunderstorms not in the point forecast I looked at, but we appreciated the rain as things are mighty dry. In between downpours I did spot three mountain goats with the binos but had to flee back under the tarp before I could even set up the spotter. Ever since we've been pretty well socked in with drift smoke and I've been waiting for it to clear enough to make an extended scout worth the while.

View attachment IMG_2131.JPG

Long time listener, first time caller. I have been interested in doing the unlimited hunt for a couple years now as killing a ram has been a lifelong dream and you can’t kill one without a tag in your pocket. Planning to go in next year but don’t want to embark alone. I’ve been into the area I’m planning on hunting countless times so familiarity is not the issue, but it just seems a lot safer to go in with a partner (or 2). How would you convince a hunting buddy on the fence about going in with? Figured it’d be a lot easier than it has been... 0 for 4 so far.

I would find some one that is open to and physical able to spend time in the mountains just backpack camping, is on the same page with you as far as how much time they are willing to go in with you, has at least the basic gear needed for this kind of hunt. And probably one of the most important is someone that has a good attitude and will keep going in adversity.

Long time listener, first time caller. I have been interested in doing the unlimited hunt for a couple years now as killing a ram has been a lifelong dream and you can’t kill one without a tag in your pocket. Planning to go in next year but don’t want to embark alone. I’ve been into the area I’m planning on hunting countless times so familiarity is not the issue, but it just seems a lot safer to go in with a partner (or 2). How would you convince a hunting buddy on the fence about going in with? Figured it’d be a lot easier than it has been... 0 for 4 so far.
Spend time camping in there, explore some mountain lakes and fish a little. That will tell you a lot about the area, Gomer has one again shared some very wise knowledge on the partner aspect of it. If you still haven't had much luck pm me later i might tag along with ya...

Last edited:
In my opinion you need somebody from one of the following categories.
-someone that is experienced and
Competent in the mountains but has absolutely no interest in hunting.

-someone that is an experienced hunter that has been successful on many hunts and is past the phase of needing to kill or even needing to see anything, to have a good time.

it’s mid September. The elk are rutting across the west. You’ll see black bears, big ones, that you could legally kill. You need someone who’s head is in the game, not someone thats in a hurry to go bugle at raghorn bulls or wanting to blast that 400 lb bear that is at 200 yards, but is also 12 miles from the truck.

someone in the ‘kill stuff’ phase of hunting would be miserable to hunt the unlimiteds with. I’d rather go with a non hunter

If ‘we’ll see how the antelope draw goes’ comes out of their mouth, write them off and forget about them.

It's been challenging for most of us to find someone that wants to go hunt/camp in the UL's. If you aren't comfortable going by yourself then keep searching for a buddy to go with you. It's not for the faint of heart to say the least.

-someone that is an experienced hunter that has been successful on many hunts and is past the phase of needing to kill or even needing to see anything, to have a good time.

it’s mid September. The elk are rutting across the west. You’ll see black bears, big ones, that you could legally kill. You need someone who’s head is in the game, not someone thats in a hurry to go bugle at raghorn bulls or wanting to blast that 400 lb bear that is at 200 yards, but is also 12 miles from the truck.

someone in the ‘kill stuff’ phase of hunting would be miserable to hunt the unlimiteds with. I’d rather go with a non hunter

If ‘we’ll see how the antelope draw goes’ comes out of their mouth, write them off and forget about them.

This right here is some really good advice.

Appreciate the advise. Need to find someone else this is equally as willing to “embrace the suck.”

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back