Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Thanks for the kind words I am excited I would love to sit around a campfire in the Beartooths and here some of shines sheep hunting stories. As of right now. My body has healed good and everything is working as it should. 90 days till I leave unless I have to drive up then it is only 85 days.

Sounds like you guys run in to quite a bit of people in the back country on these hunts. Probably not uncommon to run into people even 6-10 miles back? Either way its gonna be a good time! Good luck to everyone can't wait to start scouting. Tag purchased for me! (y) If im not mistaken I feel like I heard that the oldest known sheep migration is from Wyoming into Montana in the general 502 area. Anyone know if thats true? Just curious.

90 days till I leave unless I have to drive up then it is only 85 days.

If you can spare the time, and if you have never driven the route before, definitely drive up. The wild scenery alone is worth the time, fuel cost and whatever wear-and-tear you put on the vehicle. The Alaskan Highway, or "Alcan" as we old farts are still apt to call it, is not the car-killer it was 50-60 years ago. I hitched from Fairbanks down to Everett, WA in Spring of 1970; a memorable adventure to say the least!

Yeah, I think we’ll go take a little walk. See some new sights.

I'm willing to lay odds that most of the regulars here are at least smirking, if not outright guffawing, at your idea of "a little walk."

Go score one for your hunting buddy. If he is waiting out seven years and you six, I might be able to pry some information out of you guys about that deep country before the end of next April.

If you can spare the time, and if you have never driven the route before, definitely drive up. The wild scenery alone is worth the time, fuel cost and whatever wear-and-tear you put on the vehicle. The Alaskan Highway, or "Alcan" as we old farts are still apt to call it, is not the car-killer it was 50-60 years ago. I hitched from Fairbanks down to Everett, WA in Spring of 1970; a memorable adventure to say the least!
Funny you mention the "Alcan". I remember my Dad telling me about taking us to Alaska for a job (that never materialized) in 1958 and at one point the "road" was a series of poles set in horizontal holes bored into the side of a cliff. They cantilevered out away from the wall and formed the "road" for a stretch. I certainly don't remember it, being only about 6 months old, but Dad indicated it was a little hairy to say the least!

Funny you mention the "Alcan".

Wow Dave, 1958, Alaska was still a territory; wouldn't achieve statehood until the next year! My black-sheep uncle was up there about the same time, doing Lord knows what, and best not ask. He did have a tale at later family reunions about it taking nine rounds from his .30-06 to anchor a Brown bear; but it was prudent to consume Clark's stories liberally salted. He might also have mentioned something about a desire to avoid the territorial police having motivated him to return to "The States." That anecdote was more plausible.

Did your Dad say anything about how many tires he might have blown out on the trip? Shredded tires comprised most of the recurring horror stories and were the major dread of motorist anticipating the Alcan in the first couple decades after it was built. Of course, tire technology has come a long way since then, just like suspension systems, air conditioning and most everything else.

When I hitchhiked down in 1970 the entire Alaskan stretch had already been paved for years. From Alaska/Yukon border down to Dawson Creek, BC (milepost 0) was still all gravel surface. Actually, some of the worse frost-heaved sections of asphalt in Alaska made me think that a gravel road, which could be graded annually, might be the more practicable solution. I have not made the trip either direction in fifty years; but I hear it is paved the entire length now. The spectacular scenery and broad stretches mostly devoid of settlement are lodged in my memory more securely than what I had for dinner two days ago, though, it occurs to me that might say more about how I am aging than it does how grand the northern wilderness is. If C Bow drives the route, we'll have to interrogate him and compare notes.

My family made one of those long-distance job-seeking drives in the 1950's too, albeit not nearly as far as Alaska (southern CA up to Spokane, WA in an old Studebaker with toddler me and a sick infant, my late brother). That vacancy turned out to be vaporware. Dad put in another twelve years in Kaiser Steel foundry's red heat and black dust before pulling out for the Pacific Northwest--I choke up when I think about it.

Technically this picture might belong in the Landscapes Forum, but several of the Unlimited sheep units are in the Beartooths, so here's a pic of the namesake Bear Tooth Peak that I took last summer from the Beartooth Highway. It's in Unit 502.

I have to admit I get a giggle out of thinking about the guy who grabs an unlimited tag on a whim, most likely due to some online content. Then shows up at 502 in November, takes one look and heads the truck for the nearest bar.

I have to admit I get a giggle out of thinking about the guy who grabs an unlimited tag on a whim, most likely due to some online content. Then shows up at 502 in November, takes one look and heads the truck for the nearest bar.

Hey that sounds like a good time too!!!!!

I would think that about 50% of the normal hunters fall into this category anyways. Most really don't apply themselves to hunting........Some spend quite a bit more time applying themselves to the bottle than hunting.

I "drew" the 303-60. Since I drew the 313-45 Elk tag I thought I should have a sheep tag in my pocket. Fingers crossed but this could be a fall of a lifetime weather dependant of course.

I "drew" the 303-60. Since I drew the 313-45 Elk tag I thought I should have a sheep tag in my pocket. Fingers crossed but this could be a fall of a lifetime weather dependant of course.
If the quota isn’t filled, 303 season ends on oct 31, just so you know, in case you didn’t.

Last edited:
If the quota isn’t filled, 303 season ends on oct 31, just so you know, I’m case you didn’t.
Thanks for the heads up! I did know it ended then. It also looks like most years are finished way before then anyway. I am planning on hunting for sheep the whole time and hold onto my elk tag for the last 2 weeks of the season unless I come across a beast while searching for my sheep. Planning on trying to find them prior to the season. Hopefully some will be out of the park around opening day.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back