Caribou Gear Tarp

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I've been running the Zamberlan boots for a little over a year. Crazy stiff and I like it. I run the boots with no insulation and there were times where I wish I would have had insulated boots on for sure. My feet did get cold if I was stopped to glass for a bit and the wind was blowing pretty good. Other than that I was good. Thinking about trying the Kenetrek soon to see how they do. I'm hell on boats that the Zamberlan are the first boots I've never felt the need to take off at the end of the day. They fit like a glove and I love wearing them.

One thing to remember about boots more than any other piece of gear. Everyone's feet are different. Do what is right for you. Don't buy what others are using thinking it might be the best gear for you. Guns, tents, stoves, ect can be good items to get advice on from other hunters but boots are really personal. Also, make sure to wear them a bunch before a hunt. Probably took me a week to break them in enough to actually take a hike with the boots. I would just wear them at work and it took longer to break them in than I thought......because they are crazy stiff!!!!!!!!

I'll piggyback off of recurveman's post.

Boots are a very personal gear choice, but I think boot choice is a lot simpler than most people make it. Your boots need to tick the following boxes:

1. Fit your feet. And your feet are broken into your boots too. Good boot shops can guide you to how brands generally fit (X brand fits low volume feet, Y brand has a wider forefoot, etc.) or good luck finding anything meaningful on forums. Try on several pairs before you buy, then don't be afraid to return them if they don't work.
2. Sole stiff enough for the weight you intend to carry. If the stars align and you kill one 15 miles back, your soles and ankles will be extremely unhappy packing +100lb in running-shoe flexible boots. Having said this, you probably do not want a rigid (no flex at all) sole or your feet won't last with trail miles.
3. Waterproof. You cannot risk wet feet on an extended hunt. You can change socks a couple times a day if they leak but that's very annoying too.

Beyond that, leather is a good idea and a rubber rock rand is a good idea. You can always add more insulation to a non-insulated boot with thicker socks but you can't take insulation out of an insulated boot.

And pick a brand that has a warranty. I personally wear Scarpa's, but the ones I've had seem to be prone to leaking. I think I'm on my 5th pair now and usually get a hundred days or so to a pair before they start to leak enough for me to notice. I've never had a seam, sole, rock rand, lace guide, or any kind of issue other than leaking. Scarpa's have a 1 year warranty, so now 11 months after I buy them I leak test them. If they leak, I send them back, and they send me a new pair.

I feel your pain there; I grew up in Georgia. My first mountain hunt was in a pair of Wolverine boots and they made it maybe 5 miles before I could look down and see my sock through a blown out seam. There was more duct tape on those boots than there was leather by the end of the hunt.

I will 100% agree with @winmag and @recurveman on this topic. If people want to talk about the single most important piece of gear in their bag its footwear. If your on any sort of adventure it doesn't even have to be an outdoor deal if your shoes or boots or whatever you need to be comfortable aren't working for your feet your DONE. Out west we have it almost to good when it comes to trying gear or checking things out especially when everyone comes out with their "new" stuff..... can be a good thing but usually a bad thing when it comes to the bank account. I am sure theres many more companies than what I'll list but check them out.

Kenetreks
Crispis
Schnees
Scarpa
La Sportiva
Zamberlan
etc. etc.

I would just check into what each company has (odds are they closely resemble each other) and I am sure you'll find what your looking for. My two cents I am not happy with Kenetreks, I don't know why or what happened with their quality but its not there. Schnees are solid, Crispis seem legit I bought some for my wife and she likes them. Scarpa and La Sportiva have been around a long time and I see lots of love for Zamberlans as well. Ill make you a deal on some broke in and broken Kentreks ......... almost free today TYD ;)

I love me some Lowa Tibets. I bought a new pair in 2016, changed the footbeds, strapped them on and did 12 miles of sheep scouting in two days, right out of the box. No discomfort. I have never worried about my feet since switching to Lowa about a decade ago. The Hunter GTX are a good choice if you like a taller boot.

Boots.jpg

I'm right over the mountain from you geetar. I used Scheels to try on different brands as they have a great return policy. I'd try a pair for a couple weeks indoors, send it back, and try another one. Schnee's also provided the paid postage for a return. I tried Kenetreks, Zamberlan, Schnee's, Crispi, and ultimately choose the Lowa Tibets. Zamberlan was my #2 choice.

I am a fan of the Kenetrek Mountain Guide boots. Not at all a fan of the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots. Huge difference in quality and performance between the two.

This pair of mountain guide boots are over 6 years old. Have hunted, hiked, framed, and logged in them in those years. They now look like hell, but are still comfortable, and I can't see throwing them out. They are my go to pair when it is muddy and I'm thinning and burning slash.

20200212_080516.jpg

My newer pair of mountain guides are over 2 years old, wear them almost daily, and so far the soles show little wear. Very good traction as well.

20200212_080632.jpg

Bought this pair on sale at Bob Wards for considerably less than from Kenetrek direct and it included a free pair of gaiters in the deal.

Howdy all,
New guy here. Just moved to the Flathead area from Prince of Wales Island, AK. Caught the backcountry bug after many hunts, including Dall sheep and Mountain goat. Figure at this point, in order to scratch the itch, I have two options:
1. Move back
2. Hunt the Unlimiteds
Seeing as how I’d end up single back in AK (and talk about low odds hunts), I’m focusing on the latter option for now. Been reading through the thread the last week or so, and you guys are some tough SOBs. I have a lot of respect. Anybody looking for a scouting/hunting partner then shoot me a DM - I’ve got a decent gear set and enough insanity to chase some rams around. Cheers!

Welcome to the adventure, I wouldn't put myself in the "tough" category. I won an award for being the first one to quit this season. I'll be exploring a little in 501 this summer and maybe a little in 500. Always free to tag along if you want to. Good luck to you this upcoming season. Always welcoming to folks who want to participate in these hunts as that is what the unlimited units needs, continuous new supporters!

New to HT; even though I have a "close relationship" to the forum. This thread is what made me finally bite the bullet and actually create an account rather than just scan. I just spent 3 days reading through this entire 60+ page thread as it's captivated me with the stories of you guys. I've marveled at the UL hunts since moving to MT nearly 5yrs ago; but with being in school made it an unreal possibility. I've spent a lot of time with Sheep in AK, MT & WY photographing them & dreaming of one day being able to chase them with a tag in my pocket. But; being "late to the game" at 35 now, and accumulating points; this might be my only realistic chance of making that happen. I've followed @MTGomer's story for a few years via Social Media & connections (We also had a quick chat down in Reno this past Jan) & it was fun to be able to go back and really get a further look into it all. I'm truly looking into doing this hunt, & feel with my background I've got the mental fortitude to endure the "fun" that the UL brings. I just wanted to commend everyone that's taken on this hunt for theirs, and say thanks for the great read; and future post.

those are some really incredible photos love them all esp the one sleeping in the snow wow

Thanks!! That was quite the surreal experience. I'd climbed up towards a small band of young Rams on a cliff face & just let them be. An hour later, the image presented itself.

Back