Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I hunted 303 two years ago. Had a lot of fun. Thinking about switching to one of the 500s for my next visit. I have the general access down for the 500s, but if anyone has better recommendations on where to disembark, I would appreciate the advise.

Keep in mind that all these units are close to Yellowstone park.
Bears don't know boundary lines and will roam.
Yes, we have seen them and lots of sign.

One spot we scouted had quite a few trees that looked like this.
Averaged 6-7 feet from the base.
This wasn't from squirrels!

bear.jpg

I believe a guy on here that goes by @theat had one chew up his pack while he was sleeping. I think that story is further back in this thread or maybe in another one.

maybe he did but he for sure posted about grizz sitings in this other MT unlimiteds thread, post #8

With the conditions and timing it could be anyone catching them anywhere. Pretty nasty up there today I bet.

I've read about how these units are infested with grizzlies- has anyone every seen many of them while hunting? Has anyone had any confrontations with grizzlies while sheep hunting the unlimited's?
Its been about 20 years since I hunted any of the Unlimited sheep units, but from 1978 thru the mid '90s I hunted most years in one or another of the Unlimited units. I did not see or encounter any grizzlies on any of those hunts.

It's griz city now, its not if you're gonna see one it's when. The greater Yellowstone grizzly population has sky rocketed. All 5 of the districts have a healthy bear population. Just stay smart, be aware and prepared, keep a clean camp, if you do all that you should be fine. Sure things happen sometimes but, most of the time things don't. It's terrible when someone has a horrific encounter. I can't imagine it nor do I want to ever it happen to anyone or myself. It's a definite reality in there though and just one of the "risks" involved with the adventure. I'd be more worried about hunting that country in shitty conditions and getting in a bad place or injured than a griz chewing me up.

Keep in mind that all these units are close to Yellowstone park.
Bears don't know boundary lines and will roam.
Yes, we have seen them and lots of sign.

One spot we scouted had quite a few trees that looked like this.
Averaged 6-7 feet from the base.
This wasn't from squirrels!

View attachment 119310
I saw a bunch of trees like this last week but wasn't sure what it was... I thought bear at first but they went WAY high up the tree. Like 12-15' up which is way farther than a bear could reach. Are we certain that's from a bear?

Welp. Just got back from a week in the unlimiteds and I don't even know where to start. I learned a lot and saw some beautiful country, which is all I could really ask for. The first day I made a camp around 9,000 ft and that night was mayhem. It was so windy... must've been sustained 30-40 mph with gusts well over. It sounded like I was sleeping in a rocket ship. The tent was being blown so hard it was just pancaking and laying down sideways... the roof of the tent was hitting us in the face. It's a long story about why we got stuck on an exposed ridge up there but I'll give you the short version. After about 1/4 mile, we both agreed it was too steep to go down and so the only way to go was up, which was the original plan anyway, to what we hoped would be a sheltered feature in the mountains. However, it was painfully obvious we wouldn't reach our destination before dark. The only place even remotely flat was where we set up our tent, and that still must've been on a 30 deg incline. But the guy-wires and tent held and we didn't lose any gear so when morning came and the winds started to die down, we abandoned the thought of going higher to make a camp and retreated about 1500-2000 ft back down and set up a much more pleasant camp (although less effective to glass from). Stayed out all week and learned a lot about the lay of the land and the weather, which was my goal. The place was infested with moose. Crossed some wolf tracks. Learned about my gear. My key take aways are this:
1. Toilet paper is like firewood. Put out how much you think you need and then triple it.
2. The most useless pieces of equipment I brought were my rifle and hunting license. Never needed either one. And the gun is heavy. Just leave it at home.
3. Snowshoes aren't necessary and the snow-reports weren't accurate.
4. Double breakfasts are legendary. You burn through so many calories it's crazy and eating a double meal is glorious.
5. Bring quality gear as you can afford it. I cheaped out on a tripod and it broke the first day.

Here's a few pictures I took.

image_from_ios (1).jpg
image_from_ios (2).jpgimage_from_ios (5).jpgimage_from_ios.jpg

Can anyone identify this scat?

image_from_ios (4).jpg

Also, obligatory after-hunt burger picture.image_from_ios (3).jpg

Last edited:
They will not eat a non resident I spent 3 nights wit a huge grizzley and he said non residents were not tasty only resident hunters were worth the effort but you know Grizzlies have been known to stretch the truth

Welp. Just got back from a week in the unlimiteds and I don't even know where to start. I learned a lot and saw some beautiful country, which is all I could really ask for. The first day I made a camp around 9,000 ft and that night was mayhem. It was so windy... must've been sustained 30-40 mph with gusts well over. It sounded like I was sleeping in a rocket ship. The tent was being blown so hard it was just pancaking and laying down sideways... the roof of the tent was hitting us in the face. It's a long story about why we got stuck on an exposed ridge up there but I'll give you the short version. After about 1/4 mile, we both agreed it was too steep to go down and so the only way to go was up, which was the original plan anyway, to what we hoped would be a sheltered feature in the mountains. However, it was painfully obvious we wouldn't reach our destination before dark. The only place even remotely flat was where we set up our tent, and that still must've been on a 30 deg incline. But the guy-wires and tent held and we didn't lose any gear so when morning came and the winds started to die down, we abandoned the thought of going higher to make a camp and retreated about 1500-2000 ft back down and set up a much more pleasant camp (although less effective to glass from). Stayed out all week and learned a lot about the lay of the land and the weather, which was my goal. The place was infested with moose. Crossed some wolf tracks. Learned about my gear. My key take aways are this:
1. Toilet paper is like firewood. Put out how much you think you need and then triple it.
2. The most useless pieces of equipment I brought were my rifle and hunting license. Never needed either one. And the gun is heavy. Just leave it at home.
3. Snowshoes aren't necessary and the snow-reports weren't accurate.
4. Double breakfasts are legendary. You burn through so many calories it's crazy and eating a double meal is glorious.
5. Bring quality gear as you can afford it. I cheaped out on a tripod and it broke the first day.

Here's a few pictures I took.

View attachment 119420
View attachment 119421View attachment 119424View attachment 119425

Can anyone identify this scat?

View attachment 119423

Also, obligatory after-hunt burger picture.View attachment 119422
Now that's winning! great work.

Another trip.... cold... windy.... no sheep. Yet again I still can't wait to get back. Glad you had a great introduction bearslayer.

Oh yeah saw a bear track today.....

Can anyone post their gear list or dm it to me? Planning to start hunting the unlimiteds in a few years but I'm not there yet. I dont have the experience in gnarly cold weather backpacking and I dont have the gear. This thread gets me going like no other.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back