Caribou Gear

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

SO hypothetically if you killed a ram in 501 you are best bringing the cape and head to the region 5 headquarters in billings to show to the biologist and get it plugged? Who would you contact if you want them to meet you at the trail head to check it in?
Yep call the hotline as soon as you get back to service, let them know you need to go back in for another load and they will let you know who is closest to you. The biologist Shawn Stewart is based out of RedLodge and might be able to run over if no one else is closer.
You will need to get it checked before heading back in though.

Sitting this year out, throwing all my extra cash into an Alaska trip next year for goats. I’ll be watching quotas and watching here every 5 minutes of the season though! Good luck to everyone getting after it! Looks like Sept of ‘24 I’ll be back after rams…..threw a little cash saved into a new mountain gun for next year’s hunt and future unlimited hunts. That always helps the sting of skipping a year out West!!

Any wagers on how long the seasons and units are open this year?

Boulder River Road Report. For those accessing Unit #500 on the Main Boulder, I took our new UTV up to Blue Lake/Monument Peak a couple of days ago. Three times I've had my F-150 up the road beyond Box Canyon, but I wouldn't even attempt it now. There's a ford beaten in around the bridge that washed out, but it's pretty tight for a full-sized truck to negotiate. A couple of the regular fords got blown out by the flood and are now deep trenches. And there's about a hundred yard stretch of road where the road became a streambed for awhile. That eroded the whole roadbed into a deep, steep-sided gully that's really tight width-wise for a truck. I was real glad to use the UTV instead as I didn't have to crawl the whole way in granny low gear. I did, however, see some folks up above Box Canyon with an old Landcruiser, a jacked up Jeep, and a newer Tundra; everyone else was on quads or utes or dirt bikes.

Of course, even the "good" road downstream below Box Canyon is getting pretty awful as well. I think the Ho Chi Mihn Trail was better maintained in the face of B-52 carpet bombing than the current Boulder River Road. With the trailer behind the truck I had to creep along in low gear because of all the craters and potholes and erosion and big rocks sticking up out of the roadbed. The people pulling horse trailers were crawling along even slower. Coming out with the truck and trailer, it took me an hour and 45 minutes to drive the 15 miles or so of gravel road from Box Canyon back to the paved road.

Not that that's going to stop us from going back in a couple of days before season starts. Just a heads-up on what to expect using that route.

Boulder River Road Report. For those accessing Unit #500 on the Main Boulder, I took our new UTV up to Blue Lake/Monument Peak a couple of days ago. Three times I've had my F-150 up the road beyond Box Canyon, but I wouldn't even attempt it now. There's a ford beaten in around the bridge that washed out, but it's pretty tight for a full-sized truck to negotiate. A couple of the regular fords got blown out by the flood and are now deep trenches. And there's about a hundred yard stretch of road where the road became a streambed for awhile. That eroded the whole roadbed into a deep, steep-sided gully that's really tight width-wise for a truck. I was real glad to use the UTV instead as I didn't have to crawl the whole way in granny low gear. I did, however, see some folks up above Box Canyon with an old Landcruiser, a jacked up Jeep, and a newer Tundra; everyone else was on quads or utes or dirt bikes.

Of course, even the "good" road downstream below Box Canyon is getting pretty awful as well. I think the Ho Chi Mihn Trail was better maintained in the face of B-52 carpet bombing than the current Boulder River Road. With the trailer behind the truck I had to creep along in low gear because of all the craters and potholes and erosion and big rocks sticking up out of the roadbed. The people pulling horse trailers were crawling along even slower. Coming out with the truck and trailer, it took me an hour and 45 minutes to drive the 15 miles or so of gravel road from Box Canyon back to the paved road.

Not that that's going to stop us from going back in a couple of days before season starts. Just a heads-up on what to expect using that route.
Good luck to y’all! Looking forward to the post hunt reports!

I retired from the Gallatin National Forest in 2007. Talking with some of the engineers that I used to work with, tfighting the recent forest fires has taken funds away from other Forest activities. The Road Mantainence budget has been hit very hard and many of other the main FS roads are now just not being maintained.

Just started listening to this podcast and thought some of you here might be interested in hearing it as well.

Terrible timing for the smoke to start up. Will be interesting to see how it shakes in the next week or so if it will blow out or not. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Good luck to everyone heading in soon!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back