Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Well looking at making plans this summer to be out west and getting into one of the unlimited units been researching for yrs now killing 2 birds with one stone vacation/seeing the lay of the land wont have tag this yr due to other hunting trips and cant do both in the fall
Ill have the tag in 2023 and plan on doing every other yr for a few yrs between other hunts Im really looking forward to a new hunting adventure
Best of luck on your new adventure! Give it a visit outside of summer as well so you have an idea of where water is and isn't, what's accessible when it snows, and what the weather can and will be like during a fall hunt so that you can pack appropriately come 2023 and make the most of your hard earned time.

Hey YoungGun good idea about the water I have a good idea of where in the unit im going and have had some help from those that have gone before me Ive been applying for a sheep tag for yrs now like sooo many others so this is a way to at least be out their with a sheep tag in my pocket
And I look at every hunting trip if Ive been their a dozen times or something new as an adventure win loose or draw

Just got done catching up on all the fun, exciting and sad things I missed this past season. Congrats to everyone who managed to take a Ram!! Some very nice ones harvested.

I’m doing some research, scouting, reading and discussion with a buddy I was curious. Do most of you spike in to a area and day hunt from there or are you guys bivy hunting and moving camp daily?

Just got done catching up on all the fun, exciting and sad things I missed this past season. Congrats to everyone who managed to take a Ram!! Some very nice ones harvested.

I’m doing some research, scouting, reading and discussion with a buddy I was curious. Do most of you spike in to a area and day hunt from there or are you guys bivy hunting and moving camp daily?
I generally carry camp with me.

Have any of you guys found anything cool while you were in the unlimiteds? Dead heads from elk or rams? Got any pics of bears?
1935.jpg
Besides rams? 'Cause they're pretty cool, too.
We came across an old outfitter camp, stove and all, with markings indicating it had been around since ~1935. That's rugged country today. I can't fathom how remote it was 85 years ago.

I can't top a complete abandoned camp from 1935, let alone one graced with a carved sign to date it. But here is a relic in the same genre that I found lying all by itself on the pebbly beach of a high lake:

Beartooth Stove Door.JPG

There were no other relics nearby on that beach, nor any indications of an old camp in the nearby timber and brush. There might be an interesting story behind its origin, but I guess we'll never know.

I packed the door out nearly forty years ago with the intent of incorporating it into a homemade camp stove. No rush, it has been gaining extra patina while waiting.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys found anything cool while you were in the unlimiteds? Dead heads from elk or rams? Got any pics of bears?
Don't forget the horse and tack that survived the wandering preacher's demise. Poignant, but still damned interesting.

Also, I would think that people who spend enough time in that country and pay attention to where they place their feet might come across a lithic artifact once or twice in lifetime. (I know a biologist who did.)

I did some of both in the three excursions that I made during the 1980's. My methodology was definitely evolving more toward the move and bivouac method by the time that I scored.

(And apologies to all; I know that I am way late on making additional posts on my importance of bivouacking topic--it's on my bucket list.)

I can't top a complete abandoned camp from 1935, let alone one graced with a carved sign to date it. But here is a relic in the same genre that I found lying all by itself on the pebbly beach of a high late:

View attachment 210955

There were no other relics nearby on that beach, nor any indications of an old camp in the nearby timber and brush. There might be an interesting story behind its origin, but I guess we'll never know.

I packed the door out nearly forty years ago with the intent of incorporating it into a homemade camp stove. No rush, it has been gaining extra patina while waiting.
Interesting for sure. Who knows, maybe someone had the same idea as you and decided it wasnt worth it at the lake shore.

On my first sheep hunt I was working through a scrub pine forest when I stumbled into a nice round opening with a fire ring in the middle. Immediately I was overcome with a wild hair raising feeling- it wasn't fear, it was more a welcoming. I walked over to the fire ring and you could tell the rocks had been in place a very long time, but there was also a metal grate there. I felt like that was a camp with alot of history in it, like folks had been sitting at that fire telling hunting stories for a long time! So anyway I work up the basin, above the tree line a little ways and sit down on a rock to glass when I realized I was sitting right next to this arrow head.

Folks have been hunting sheep in those hills for many years!

393677_10151038617981782_265550118_n.jpg

Back