Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

And I feel like if we keep harvesting rams after the quota has been filled that reflects badly as well.

There's no doubt that if the 2 rams were indeed checked in on time it probably would've saved a couple. But, there was also a couple demographic of sheep heards that the rams were indeed harvested from.

I would like to know what the involvement of the outfitter that packed em out to.

I've had this said to me by the biologists themselves the quotas are set in a way to account for such instances, they don't happen every year thank God but they are conservative for that exact reason.

Man, the crew in here is salty as normal,
Congrats to that dude in 500...not my cup of tea. But, I was 7 years in before I got to shoot at one, passed on a few that were just too young...but also saw rams that we could age at 10.5 that was not 3/4...no lies. I have pics of him, and I would not pull the trigger.
As for killing young ones...relax, there are plenty of mature rams for you to find. I only got 5 days in this year trying to help my buddy find one. Had to come out for a funeral. Smoke was awful, did see three rams. One good legal one the day before season opened, on another mountain. Then, watched 3 other hunters camp on it. No shots heard opening morning on it.

It's one thing to shoot dinks and keep that to yourself...it's another thing to shoot dinks and then post it on public hunting forums looking for a pat on the back.
This- It just feels like the hunter put a higher price on the notoriety of taking a UL sheep more than anything else. The sentiment on this forum is similar to the same "bitterness" shown to the dude with the Montana Governor Moose Tag earlier this year who seemed to be looking for handouts, real or perceived, and not doing the tag "justice". I think there's a lot of us on this forum that put a higher price on other aspects of the hunt than simply the harvest, so I think shooting a borderline ram then thumping your chest is a stark contrast to many of the individuals that post in the UL thread or on HT in general. Is legal, legal? Yes. Am I more satisfied with hearing of the archery 501 ram, or seeing someone who has put years into the ULs walk away with a great ram, like a few of these HT members? Also yes.

"Singed every unlimited sheep hunter. :D"

Are there some chest thumpers on here? Sure are. Are there some guys on here who worked their asses off and have provided invaluable information to FWP biologists on the unit, creating more opportunities for others (HD 521 Goat, to name just one example), sure are. Are there some people who quietly follow this forum, put their time in, and take a ram, never to be seen on this forum? There's those too. And I would say the majority of the people I've met from the Unlimited Sheep hunts fall into the latter categories. Blue Collar guys who are passionate about wild sheep and passionate about the Beartooths, and would lend you a hand if they came across you with car problems on the Boulder Road. Then there are the guys who just have a different value system that seem to be in it for themselves only, and I think that perception is what fuels any of the "bitterness" seen in this thread.

Would the bitterness still be there had the successful archery hunt shot the ram that the guy on rokslide shot? Since the accomplishment not been done since the 70’s if I read correctly?

WgGp4MYl.jpg

I've posted this picture before, but I think that it is relevant to the current discussion. I believe he would have been legal the year before I shot him but I passed on a 20 yard standing broadside shot at him. I went back and shot him the next year. I think that he was the last unlimited ram to come out of the Hilgard unit.

He is also my smallest unlimited ram, but at 10 1/2 years he is my oldest. When I checked him in with FWP another hunter brought in a 4 1/2 year old ram from another Montana unit that made Boone & Crockett. Different areas and bloodlines of sheep produce different size horns.

Since FWP made the Hilgard unit a draw unit they have introduced new blood to the heard and there are some larger rams in there now.

IMO just about any legal ram taken from an unlimited unit is a hard earned trophy, especially if you get him in a DIY solo hunt,

Funny story....a buddy went fishing on the Mo' this last weekend. He took my drift boat which as you can see from my profile pic, once carried a ram's head about 10 months ago. While camped at a campground north of Craig, all these rams show up. One of these rams proceeds to lick my drift boat (no pics unfortunately). What was that ram thinking? Could there have been some scent left in the bow of the boat? Maybe? Say it with me, @EYJONAS! .....only the ram knows.
Apple eaters!

Guys,
Im the guy in question that shot the ram in Unit 500 this year. I appreciate all the feedback, and wrestled with shooting the ram (I know, I know I should have taken better pictures), but it came down to I had told myself for several years that I would shoot any legal ram in that unit. Thats what I did. I spent more than 40 days cumulatively during the seasons scouting and hunting sheep in Unit 500 and I can say that this was the first legal ram I saw. The unit cost me a reconstructive knee surgery in 2019 (tore my ACL, MCL, meniscus, and quad). Had to hike out a long ways with a knee that wasnt working. At that point the hunt became personal to me, and that is when I agreed that is what I would do.

I do understand the merits of shooting older rams. I get it. I have done that successfully elsewhere. That being said, I was made aware of some of the negative comments by a buddy on Rokslide and wanted to make myself available to address any concerns and offer my reasons for MY decision to shoot this ram.

Thanks

I would love to shoot a "small" 320 bull.
Thats my point. I've got a 400" and a 350" bull on the wall. I've passed bulls in the 370 range and I don't know how many bulls over 300" I've passed. It would be well into the hundreds of bulls passed over 300". I don't look at those types of bulls as true trophy elk. Others will think any legal bull is a trophy (and I respect their views and hope they enjoyed their experience).

Others thing small rams aren't a trophy. I think any legal ram is a victory for an UL hunter. Views are just different depending on your experiences. On my desert ram hunt I'm going to be looking for a very mature ram that looks cool. If it scores good that would be great too.

Guys,
Im the guy in question that shot the ram in Unit 500 this year. I appreciate all the feedback, and wrestled with shooting the ram (I know, I know I should have taken better pictures), but it came down to I had told myself for several years that I would shoot any legal ram in that unit. Thats what I did. I spent more than 40 days cumulatively during the seasons scouting and hunting sheep in Unit 500 and I can say that this was the first legal ram I saw. The unit cost me a reconstructive knee surgery in 2019 (tore my ACL, MCL, meniscus, and quad). Had to hike out a long ways with a knee that wasnt working. At that point the hunt became personal to me, and that is when I agreed that is what I would do.

I do understand the merits of shooting older rams. I get it. I have done that successfully elsewhere. That being said, I was made aware of some of the negative comments by a buddy on Rokslide and wanted to make myself available to address any concerns and offer my reasons for MY decision to shoot this ram.

Thanks

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! At the very least it took a set of balls to introduce yourself to this conversation. Good for you.

Guys,

Thanks
Congrats on your hunt, and welcome to HT.

I think the thing that gives me heartburn as much as anything is the increased notariety and specific information that is easily gleaned about these units from threads like these.

These unlimited units seem so vast and “figuring it out” seems so daunting that many of you guys think nothing of posting everything you have learned over the years.

All that info is on this thread, available to anyone who is interested in reading, looking at background details or cross referencing their own boots on the ground knowledge and piecing out the details.

There’s a bunch of folks reading and learning without ever commenting on this thread.

I was in the area helping a friend with a goat tag and was amazed at how many people were in there.

It’s kind of a gut check for me when I see pics and know that I could walk the person posting the pictures back to within several hundred yards of where the picture was taken.

Guys,

Thanks
Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your side of the story. Congrats on a successful hunt.

@USMC_40 I appreciate you coming to the forum and introducing yourself and providing the back story for your time in the ULs. 500 is near and dear to my heart, as I went on my wait several years ago. I've been vocal on the forum about your ram, not fully understanding your backstory, and I own that. I've said it publicly that any ram is a huge accomplishment, I just know that the wait doesn't make things any easier once the hunt is done.

My ram is everything I wanted, mainly due to the experience that went with it and the friends made from the hunt and from this forum. I watched first hand how other friends doing the hunt were more patient than me, and were rewarded with more memories, more hunger, and older rams than mine. I'd like to think that when I'm off my wait, I'll be a much more patient hunter than I was to start with so I can soak in more memories and experiences, maybe make a couple new friends or strengthen existing friendships, and hopefully find a ram that encompasses the sweat equity invested in these units.

Congratulations on a successful hunt of all hunts- I hope you left those mountains hungrier than you entered them, and I'm not talking about needing a stop at the Thirsty Turtle. Take more photos next time, successful or not, they're by far the first thing I look back for those trips. Then keep them for yourself and close friends and family. I'd like to think that your story is best shared with good friends on a mountain top while snowed in to a tent or around a fire in hunting camp. I guess I hope you'll feel that your opinion of the hunt matters most to you, and that the story can't be fully described in a written or typed format.

If/when I run into you on a mountain, I'd love to hear your full story, and will happily bend your ear with mine.

@YoungGun
Absolutely! When I hunt that unit again (God willing) I will be absolutely chasing the older class rams. And, if I am successful, will take many more pictures. I was in a state of shock, and was with 2 guys that were on their first western hunt - this aspect got completely overlooked (unfortunately). I was honestly almost emotional. Both guys plan on making this trip annually, and I am planning on joining them annually to chase these unicorns in this unit.

I appreciate your candid points, and respect you and your approach to these hunts. Thank you. Id love to trade stories some time.

Guys,

Thanks
Congratulations on taking a legal ram in a Montana Unlimited Sheep Unit in an age of much additional competition from other hunters than once was the case.

Moreover, much respect for logging into the MT Unlimited thread to defend your decision when it certainly wasn't necessary.

@USMC_40 I appreciate you coming to the forum and introducing yourself and providing the back story for your time in the ULs. 500 is near and dear to my heart, as I went on my wait several years ago. I've been vocal on the forum about your ram, not fully understanding your backstory, and I own that. I've said it publicly that any ram is a huge accomplishment, I just know that the wait doesn't make things any easier once the hunt is done.

My ram is everything I wanted, mainly due to the experience that went with it and the friends made from the hunt and from this forum. I watched first hand how other friends doing the hunt were more patient than me, and were rewarded with more memories, more hunger, and older rams than mine. I'd like to think that when I'm off my wait, I'll be a much more patient hunter than I was to start with so I can soak in more memories and experiences, maybe make a couple new friends or strengthen existing friendships, and hopefully find a ram that encompasses the sweat equity invested in these units.

Congratulations on a successful hunt of all hunts- I hope you left those mountains hungrier than you entered them, and I'm not talking about needing a stop at the Thirsty Turtle. Take more photos next time, successful or not, they're by far the first thing I look back for those trips. Then keep them for yourself and close friends and family. I'd like to think that your story is best shared with good friends on a mountain top while snowed in to a tent or around a fire in hunting camp. I guess I hope you'll feel that your opinion of the hunt matters most to you, and that the story can't be fully described in a written or typed format.

If/when I run into you on a mountain, I'd love to hear your full story, and will happily bend your ear with mine.
I like to think that, along with compassion and a sense of humor, humility is still an American trait--thanks for confirming.

Guys,

Thanks
Congrats on your sheep. As long as you're happy - doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

I think the thing that gives me heartburn as much as anything is the increased notariety and specific information that is easily gleaned about these units from threads like these.

These unlimited units seem so vast and “figuring it out” seems so daunting that many of you guys think nothing of posting everything you have learned over the years.

All that info is on this thread, available to anyone who is interested in reading, looking at background details or cross referencing their own boots on the ground knowledge and piecing out the details.

There’s a bunch of folks reading and learning without ever commenting on this thread.

I was in the area helping a friend with a goat tag and was amazed at how many people were in there.

It’s kind of a gut check for me when I see pics and know that I could walk the person posting the pictures back to within several hundred yards of where the picture was taken.

This is the most relevant information in this thread. When you tell the world where you hunt and all the details.......You will get to meet them on the hill next year. So ask yourself this question. Do you want the number of hunters to double next year? The specifics about the amount of sheep, rams, bears, trails, units that are being told on this forum is going to change the hunt. Putting the information out like is being presented will have a more negative impact on your chances to hunt the UL's than shooting a smaller ram.

Loose lips sink ships. Right now this ship is taking on water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back