Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Ok guys what’s some of your food prep and gear lists look like are you more conservative for weight or are you very spartan (bare bones minimum) or are you care free (bring the pain) ? Myself I’m more spartan when it comes to my backcountry elk/deer hunts like food,sleep system, extra socks and briefs, kill kit, cook stove/fuel, optics, solar charger, first aid, down system, my pack without water came in at about 30#
Not sure what you include. When I walk in my pack is right at 60# and that includes optics, tripod, gun, food (usually 10 days / 2# per day) ect. No reason to weigh a pack when everything isn't in it. I think spending some of your weight in optics and sleep system is worth the weight. Everything else I like to cut down as much as possible.

Not sure what you include. When I walk in my pack is right at 60# and that includes optics, tripod, gun, food (usually 10 days / 2# per day) ect. No reason to weigh a pack when everything isn't in it. I think spending some of your weight in optics and sleep system is worth the weight. Everything else I like to cut down as much as possible.
How the heck do you get down to 60 lbs with optics and a rifle? Are you just not bringing water in your pack? I just went through this exercise the other day, prepping for a 13 day high country mule deer hunt and my pack is going to be closer to 70 than 60(with a recurve to boot) and I thought I was dialed!

How the heck do you get down to 60 lbs with optics and a rifle? Are you just not bringing water in your pack? I just went through this exercise the other day, prepping for a 13 day high country mule deer hunt and my pack is going to be closer to 70 than 60(with a recurve to boot) and I thought I was dialed!
That's pretty damn good

That is not including water. Water is very available where I head in at so I just grab it as needed. I won't have more than 16 ounces of water in my pack on the trip in.

My optics include a tripod, BTX and my 15's. I don't skimp on optics. The only extra clothing I bring is an extra pair of socks. Everything else I just wear until I get back to the trailhead. I bring enough clothing to be OK with everything on at the coldest temp I expect to experience during the trip. Everything else stays at the trailhead.

My gun loaded is right at 7#'s.

That is not including water. Water is very available where I head in at so I just grab it as needed. I won't have more than 16 ounces of water in my pack on the trip in.

My optics include a tripod, BTX and my 15's. I don't skimp on optics. The only extra clothing I bring is an extra pair of socks. Everything else I just wear until I get back to the trailhead. I bring enough clothing to be OK with everything on at the coldest temp I expect to experience during the trip. Everything else stays at the trailhead.

My gun loaded is right at 7#'s.
I am 1000 percent jealous of your optics arsenal that's badass.

It’s really not to hard it’s more of a pain in the tail but your counting ounces on everything and spending more money on lighter gear but it’s worth to be more mobile and it’s easier on the body when your pack weighs less going in deep especially if you are successful so you can possibly depending of fitness make one trip out with gear and meat

It’s really not to hard it’s more of a pain in the tail but your counting ounces on everything and spending more money on lighter gear but it’s worth to be more mobile and it’s easier on the body when your pack weighs less going in deep especially if you are successful so you can possibly depending of fitness make one trip out with gear and meat

If you are flying solo I don't see how one trip out is even an option. There are many places where if you are solo I don't think you could even make it out in 48 hours let alone will ALL your gear. I plan on taking two trips. Positive that I'm not man enough to take one trip......I'm OK with that too.

I believe Kurt Racicot did it in one trip but it took most of the 48 hours. There is some story that it was cutting it so close that he actually had the FWP meet him at trailhead. Kurt is an animal though. I believe it was Rinella that said “ He was harder than a woodpeckers lips. “ I’m with you though. I don’t think I’m trying it in one trip if I was going solo.
I'm much stronger on the mental side of hunting than the physical side. It is very important for a man to know his limits. That is so far past my limit it isn't even a topic of discussion. Just getting the pack to the top is stretching my limits.

Has anyone killed one (in the unlimiteds) and bothered to weigh all the pieces of sheep you have to bring out?
The number that comes to mind is around 120lbs. Plus the 60lbs the minimalists are carrying, and you've still got two 90lb trips.
Not an unlimited ram and they may be larger than my California Bighorn from Washington, but the head and cape were about 25 - 30# and the meat in bags was about 60 - 65#, if I remember right. Also, I'd be leaving most if not all of my remaining food, though that may be a bad idea with bears around. Even on the lighter side of maybe 90# of sheep and say 45# of gear, that'd still mean 2 loads for this old guy!

I've never seen or packed a dall but I'd assume they have to be comparable in size. My BIL got both of his clients rams this past month and he sent me pack weights. The first ram both of their packs were over 125lbs coming out and he estimated that each pack had 50 to 60 on gear. He said the second one wasn't as bad because it was day 10 and they were basically on their way out with not much for food. Those packs were still 110 a piece. Probably closer to 50 pounds of gear still a piece. Both sheep they skinned for a life-size mount so one has to consider that as well.

One buddy killed an unlimited ram in somewhat of a "not bad spot" it was 4 miles from the truck and only the first mile of it was rough. His pack weighed 165lbs or right around there. He actually ended up breaking his frame on his SG. He said it was absolutely miserable.

I'd still like to have to try it😁

Anyone bringing snowshoes to retrieve their gear, if they get lucky and kill a ram and have to make 2 trips this year?

So serious question just so I’m straight on this before I go in. The 48 hour window begins the moment you kill the ram / notch your tag ect. and you have 48 hours to pack out and drive to either the region 3 or 5 district office depending on the unit you hunt and check it in with the biologist in person. Is this correct? Also is the 48 hour window for unit closure effective the moment a 2nd ram is checked in from each unit. Not trying to bring up the fiasco that happened last year or get into all that again. Just trying to be clear before I go in with a tag in my hand.
That's correct and anyone going in needs to remember that so we don't have a disaster like last year.

My decision would be to get the ram out and go buy new gear!!!!!! One trip baby!!!!!
What about the beer? Drink if first before heading out, or come back for it?

When it's hotter than the sun and dry as a popcorn fart, where to the rams go that were on top in the lush tundra stuff earlier in summer, just downhill, or do they move a long ways off.

Back