Go now while your young and a Montana resident and close. I did it as a resident in 1991 at 24 got a sheep that year. I have thought of going back every year but never have. I’m going to be 54 and now I am a non resident. I’m in good shape but would never be able to do what I did at 24. Also as a non resident it’s a lot more money to drop on a low percentage hunt. Do it now while your young and live there. Things change trust me on that one. I will be backI've been trying to talk myself into going for it in 2022. I've been hooked on reading through this thread and I find myself rooting for all you die hards that get after it year after year. Much respect and admiration for the effort and dedication you guys have put into "mission impossible."
Here's a breakdown of my ambivalence:
1) I live really close to the Beartooths (Montana resident)
2) I come from a long line of sheep hunters. My grandpa has killed four bighorns in Wyoming, his biggest coming out of area 1. My dad has also drawn and killed an area 1 sheep in Wyoming. I've always dreamt of sheep hunting and realize the opportunity may not come through the draw in Montana.
3) I'm relatively young (33) and I like to suffer
4) I'm okay going years without killing or even seeing a sheep. To me the adventure is worth the price of admission.
1) I like to have a balance of adventure hunting and meat hunting. Sacrificing a big chunk of my vacation days chasing unicorns might leave me with a sad looking freezer
2) Baby due in July
3) My gear isn't up to snuff yet (would need a tent and pack upgrade)
4) No hunting partner that could keep up (I prefer to solo hunt so not a huge deal)
Part of me knows I'll regret it if I don't go but it seems like such a massive commitment and gamble. It seems like now is the time if I'm going to do it. I'm thinking I gotta try this in my 30's and maybe 40's and then jump back into the draw game later in life when my body starts slowing down. The risk being that the Beartooths might cripple me to the point of never being able to hunt again...lol.
Curious to hear how some of you came to the realization that the unlimiteds were for you? Did you fall and hit your head one day or was there more to it than that?