MT ELK, Changing it up?

Treeshark

I can totally understand why a Montana resident would be against this, but as a non-res it is kind of tough to get very worked up over it (aside from making my already useless bonus points even more useless).

rogerthat

I can totally understand why a Montana resident would be against this, but as a non-res it is kind of tough to get very worked up over it.
Other than if this passes your draw odds may have just went further down the toilet if you ever wanted to diy public. If you want to pay $10k to an outfitter than your spot on.

Ben Lamb

True, but realistically that ship kind of sailed a while ago (90/10, etc).

It will affect your ability to harvest a mature animal when you do draw, and it will reduce the amount of private land available either through frustration as @antlerradar has pointed, our from leasing situations that take lands out of Block Management, etc.

Treeshark

I’m just going to stop getting bonus points and hunt general (or pay).

I would think a lot of people will drop out of buying BPs, it wasn’t a great investment in Montana to begin with.

Gerald Martin

This is the part of the thread where rage fatigue sets in and the clueless OTC's roll in not realizing if they say the wrong thing things could go really badly for them. :LOL::LOL:
This is the part of the thread where if I were a NR applying for a general tag and thinking about hiring an outfitter, I would be setting aside that money for a private land lease in one of these 14 units next year.

Treeshark

If you mean me Roger, fire away. I have thick enough skin to withstand the onslaught of internet strangers:)

I’m not trying to throw a grenade into this thread, I’m just being honest about how I view this as a non-res. I know “opportunity” is a dirty word on this section of Hunt-Talk in particular, but for a non-resident who sees it vanishing at an alarming rate pretty much everywhere, it seems inevitable that it’s going to involve $$ soon.

I’ve come to the realization that I’m just going to have to learn to live with that as a new reality at this point if I want to keep hunting western states. Residents will have that moment soon enough too.

rogerthat

This is the part of the thread where if I were a NR applying for a general tag and thinking about hiring an outfitter, I would be setting aside that money for a private land lease in one of these 14 units next year.
Yeah no kidding. Maybe I should do that.

Ben Lamb

If you mean me Roger, fire away. I have thick enough skin to withstand the onslaught of internet strangers:)

I’m not trying to throw a grenade into this thread, I’m just being honest about how I view this as a non-res. I know “opportunity” is a dirty word on this section of Hunt-Talk in particular, but for a non-resident who sees it vanishing at an alarming rate pretty much everywhere, it seems inevitable that it’s going to involve $$ soon.

I’ve come to the realization that I’m just going to have to learn to live with that as a new reality at this point if I want to keep hunting western states. Residents will have that moment soon enough too.

There's a lot of importance to this post. Folks should think it through. He's not wrong.

Gerald Martin

There's a lot of importance to this post. Folks should think it through. He's not wrong.
I’m thinking that if the FWP proposal is intended to be an extreme “shoot for the moon” bargaining chip to end up with transferable landowner tags as the end result, a Citizen’s Initiative may be the most durable defense to solidly establish that Montana residents don’t want our wildlife to become the property of large landowners to be distributed to the wealthy.

Gerald Martin

Yeah no kidding. Maybe I should do that.
In fact, I am pretty sure that I could broker access for six folks on a ranch big enough for everyone to shoot bulls if there were five NR’s willing to pay as much as they would an outfitter. Of course I’d get to hunt too and instead of payment my portion would be distributed among the other five guys.

$7500 per person should get us a decent lease.

This is the way it’s going to go down, if this passes.

sacountry

In fact, I am pretty sure that I could broker access for six folks on a ranch big enough for everyone to shoot bulls if there were five NR’s willing to pay as much as they would an outfitter. Of course I’d get to hunt too and instead of payment my portion would be distributed among the other five guys.

$7500 per person should get us a decent lease.

This is the way it’s going to go down, if this passes.
Why not 6 resident hunters? Crypto has been doing well. I'll pick up your portion as the broker.

BirdManMike

I cant imagine it would cost $37500/year for a lease on the vast, vast majority of ranches. Anyone know for sure going rates?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coker737