PEAX Equipment

MT Bison Results

MThuntr

I haven't seen anyone post on this lately. I just checked and didn't get pulled. This is the first year I put in with a second choice as an option. I thought this was an interesting post in my "pending" category. Is this something that is common when you put in for a bison cow as a second choice?

"- 395-00 WEST YELLOWSTONE COW, November 15 — February 15 was your 2nd choice and you are number 2313 on the roster. Per regulations, up to 54 hunters in each season type may be contacted and offered cow/calf bison hunts based upon bison migration. You will be contacted by FWP Licensing if your number is reached. "

Looks like I don't have a snowball's chance in getting one this year.

Last edited:
What box did I not check to get this in my pending...I can't figure this out. It seems everyone else on the interwebs gets a wait list number but I don't have anything.

"You do not have any permits in drawings that are still pending for 2014. As your permit applications are processed they will appear in the 'Pending' status. Please allow at least 4 weeks for paper applications to be processed."

Dang tjones, looks like you might get close if a few people ahead of you opt out of a cow permit.

jryoung, I couldn't tell you if there is something glitchy in the system. Are you sure you didn't draw your first choice? What I do know that the application was due before the regs were released so the unit I applied for as a second choice for was not one that was in the newest regs.

Thought I might revive this thread and see if anyone after the 54 cow/calves got called? I am sitting at 104 this year and wonder if I actually have a chance of getting that call or not.

You'd have to have at least 50 people drop out before even getting a call and the 54 is a backup if a big migration happens so I wouldn't hold my breath
Thats what I was thinking..... I am not holding my breath. Would be awesome if it does happen though. I was wondering if the #78 who posted got the call. I dont know what is worse being 104 and missing out or being 1500 haha

How much notice do you get for the roster hunt for bison?

I did a cow elk roster hunt when I was a resident, and they called me 3 days in advance. Actually picked up the phone in the airport in Vienna. Things ended up coming together.

Is the bison hunt similar? They might let you know on Tuesday your up and you need to be out there by Thursday?

The cow roster is the biggest joke of “opportunity” in FWP’ repertoire. I don’t know why they include it.

State cow hunters get called when there is a “surplus” of bison pushing out of the park. After the tribes take their desired amount..... If anyone cares to push buttons at FWP to find out how many state hunters have killed cow bison in the past ten years they won’t get their hopes up for a call.... some (most)years no one gets the call.

The cow roster is the biggest joke of “opportunity” in FWP’ repertoire. I don’t know why they include it.

State cow hunters get called when there is a “surplus” of bison pushing out of the park. After the tribes take their desired amount..... If anyone cares to push buttons at FWP to find out how many state hunters have killed cow bison in the past ten years they won’t get their hopes up for a call.... some (most)years no one gets the call.
Wife was 90th this year

I drew the 385-20 Bison permit! Super stoked! Never thought I'd get the chance to hunt wild Bison! These permits don't get the attention that the moose, goat and sheep tags do but I think the Bison tag should be just as celebrated! They are extremely hard to draw! 6000 hunters applied for the 40 available 385-20 tags alone last year and if you think of the hunting opportunities available in North America for wild, free range Bison they are super rare to come by.

Last edited:
I drew the 385-20 Bison permit! Super stoked! Never thought I'd get the chance to hunt wild Bison! These permits don't get the attention that the moose, goat and sheep tags do but I think the Bison tag should be just as celebrated! They are extremely hard to draw! 6000 hunters applied for the 40 available 385-20 tags alone last year and if you think of the hunting opportunities available in North America for wild, free range Bison they are super rare to come by.
Awesome good luck post pics of your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back