Yeti

Mountain Shiras moose habitat

Bullshot

What’s everyone’s experience with Shiras moose habitat up
in typical nat. forest. My limited encounters have been on the more gently sloped dark timber and along water courses, and seemingly often close to roads and trails. Do moose also utilize very steep or rocky forested slopes and/or hellhole areas like elk would. I am wondering if it would be a waste of time to try to get into the steep/deep/dark/nasties for moose. Not that you’d ever want to get one down in such a spot!!!!

BigHornRam

I've found sheds up high. Bulls often go up in elevation to winter where the snow is deep and the predators have a hard time getting around in the snow.

wytex

During the rut bulls may well be out in the middle of the Red Desert, otherwise usually associated with willows.
Have found moose scrapes in the forest well away from any water source or willows though, again rut related behavior.
Seem to be everywhere we hunt elk.

Shortbowshot

I found a moose shed up near timber line in Colorado. Not sure what he was doing up there that time of year. Had a buddy leave a game cam out all year. When the snow melted back below it moose seemed to be the only critters up there for awhile. It was around 9800 ft in dark timber.

Ben Long

IME moose don't hole up in dark timber the same way elk do because they are not subjected to the same intense hunting pressure. Plus I don't think they are quite as sensitive to disturbance. From where I sit, it looks like moose are MORE sensitive to temperature. If they are on north slopes, its probably because they are seeking shade, not security. They like to be near water for the coolness and browse species. That said, I have found sheds at the very tip-tops of mountains here in NW MT. Maybe they were trying to stay above the wolves, I don't know. LIke elk, moose are where you find 'em!

Yeti

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holski