Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mountain Lion - Elk Area 129?

WyoDoug

Anyone every hunt mountain lion in elk area 129 which would be an area 24 lion tag? Reason I am considering this, is only other good place I found to hunt cougars is in the area around Meeker, Colorado. I have read the last 15 papers for the Gillette area and noticed at least 2 sightings or relocation/trappings for each year going back to 2005. Because of that, I am considering buying a tag since it's just $35.00 and I can buy it over the counter. Anyone hunting this area ever spot any? Not asking locations of your "honey holes" LOL, just want an idea of what people are seeing so I can determine if the $35.00 might be worth the chance to get my second lion in my lifetime. Those who never hunted one, if you ever ate feral pigs, you will like cougar meat.

I have only seen fresh tracks in the bighorns and black hills. There are some outfitters in both areas, so there must be enough around. The county predator control guy probably has better info. I am sure they are around that 129 elk area, but they are super sneaky. Some of that area you were talking about deer hunting and stuff has some rocky scrub timber ridges that might be good habitat, but if there isn't snow I am not skilled enough to even see tracks. I have also heard they are tasty and kindof pork like.

I am working on figuring density right now. As it stands so far plan is to set up upwind from a guy pile or scraps from my own kills and scope and watch for a couple hours or so. Gut piles were never in the spot we left them last year so something is eating them up and I am hoping cougar.

Last edited:
Seasons for lion are still being reviewed. I talked to the biologist that handles lion area I will be in. He says density is very good and proposal is for unlimited licenses so I am investing in a license that I can get over the counter.

What if a black bear comes to the gut pile? You should cover that base, too.

They are not seeing
What if a black bear comes to the gut pile? You should cover that base, too.

They are not seeing bear sign in that area. just mountain lion. I talked to the ranchers in that area and they have not seen bear for a long time. Biologist when asked if he would invest in a bear license in that area if he were in my place, he said no. Signs around the gut piles last year were coyote and mountain lion. I never saw bear tracks when I was out on my stalks. The pond I like to set up on has had every track but bear I think. However, I will be doing my research on bear because if I determine they are in the area, I will attempt to set a day to hunt them alone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back