Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Moose Tag

MontanaBlades

I’m fortunate enough to draw my first moose tag for South Central Montana. I am excited about the adventure and to experience something new. Any tips of the dos and don’ts will be greatly appreciated. Do I start scouting now or is there a migration?

Congrats on the tag!

Scouting now is pointless, IMO. Id start more in late July or August when they are settled in their summer range. They don't really migrate but may travel 10-20 miles from various habitats during the seasons. My experience is they will hang in their summer range until they rub their velvet, then they will go on a hike looking for ladies. That could be a mile or 10.

Good luck!

As Bambistew stated ... scouting now is pointless. If you're from Montana, I would recommend you go camping or backpacking in the area and use this time as "scouting". Good luck.

Congrats on the tag!

Scouting now is pointless, IMO. Id start more in late July or August when they are settled in their summer range. They don't really migrate but may travel 10-20 miles from various habitats during the seasons. My experience is they will hang in their summer range until they rub their velvet, then they will go on a hike looking for ladies. That could be a mile or 10.

Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't want to miss this up.

Scouting now is a waste of time unless you’re unfamiliar with the roads/access. If you do scout now, just look for cow moose, learn the roads, and save your time to hunt in late Sept. return to where the cows were. Any bull you find now will move before opener.

Scouting now is a waste of time unless you’re unfamiliar with the roads/access. If you do scout now, just look for cow moose, learn the roads, and save your time to hunt in late Sept. return to where the cows were. Any bull you find now will move before opener.

I agree. I can't wait to tell the story.

I’m fortunate enough to draw my first moose tag for South Central Montana. I am excited about the adventure and to experience something new. Any tips of the dos and don’ts will be greatly appreciated. Do I start scouting now or is there a migration?
I will be hunting 90% on my own for this moose. While I’m looking forward to this experience, my mind weighs heavy on getting the meat home safe from spoilage and from grizzlies chewing on it (and me for that matter). How would you pack it out? I have plenty game bags. If I had to make 8 trips from the kill site to camp, how do I protect the meat and me from grizzlies each time when I return to kill site for another load?

Can never start scouting too early in my opinion! Good luck!!

I’m thinking of calling a MT FWP biologists to see what more I can learn about the moose in that area (at what elevation can I find them in Sept/Oct). Any other questions I should ask? I think once I have the biologist on the phone, I’ll have on bite at the Apple. I don’t want to waste his/her time.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back