Montana Weather So Far

genesis273

As we head into the winter season, we're (NC) experiencing much warmer than normal weather, which has been in the 70's. As alot of others on here, I'm thinking about next year's elk season. My questions are:
Has Montana also experienced warmer weather this year?
If so, can I assume that it will be beneficial for next year's elk?

Just curious, but I can't help but to think that if it is warmer, it's only going to be good. If it's a wetter than normal spring, the antler growth will be better.

Last edited:
SE Montana has been warm with little snow all fall. Sounds like that is going to change about noon today.

I think "normal" winters are about right for elk. Not so long or cold that there is significant winter kill with enough snow to keep the mountain green as long as possible.

So far in the Gardiner/Livingston area we seem to be experiencing a fairly normal winter but with several months to go everything can change.

Patrick

All signs point to Montana having a weak winter, which generally, I think ungulates appreciate. That said, I got up to shovel snow this morning - 11 inches overnight in Corbin, MT.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 570
In the Bitterroot we were supposed to be getting the same snow nameless got, but instead just got a bit of rain. All signs are pointing to a very mild winter, but we're still in the first quarter.

I've always figured easy winters improve calf survival, but antler growth seems like it's almost directly related to April-June precipitation.

In the Bitterroot we were supposed to be getting the same snow nameless got, but instead just got a bit of rain. All signs are pointing to a very mild winter, but we're still in the first quarter.

I've always figured easy winters improve calf survival, but antler growth seems like it's almost directly related to April-June precipitation.
That last bit you've observed doesn't surprise me. While winter precip is needed for good plant growth, not all precip is the same. A 1/2" in May, when the plants are growing like, well weeds ;), packs a bigger punch than more than fell earlier.

It started snowing here at around 1 am. Still falling.
I guess it won't melt by evening , I'll be shoveling by 3. SUCKS.
I don't know why it just can't snow in the mountains

As we head into the winter season, we're (NC) experiencing much warmer than normal weather, which has been in the 70's. As alot of others on here, I'm thinking about next year's elk season. My questions are:
Has Montana also experienced warmer weather this year?
If so, can I assume that it will be beneficial for next year's elk?

Just curious, but I can't help but to think that if it is warmer, it's only going to be good. If it's a wetter than normal spring, the antler growth will be better.

Genesis - I know you killed a good bull two years ago, but your wasting your time hunting elk in Montana!! They are all dead and the MT FWP are a bunch of lairs, just ask BuzzH and he'll tell you so!!

It's actually very mild in northwest MT, and we have received good amounts of rain the past couple weeks and nice temps.

it has been raining and in the upper 40's all last week here in NW Montana. Turned everything into a muddy mess. Good for the critters, but terrible for being able to get my snowmobile fix :(

I'm with Mthuntinfool here in NW MT. It's like March out there. Depressing. I think mild winters are good for overwintering elk and deer, but bad for stream flows and point to a problematic fire season. I'm thinking that those June snowstorms can be hard on fawn survival, but that's just me and my ignorant opinion. Anyone know any data or observations on that?

I have a friend here in Kalispell who makes a living sewing custom jackets and vests out of elk hides and has done so for 30 years. She says there is a specific parasite that leaves a specific pattern on elk hides, unless the bugs are killed in a cold snap. The parasites (mites?) are not threatening on their own. She says she rarely sees an elk hide without the mite-marks anymore, where they used to be uncommon. Kinda like bark beetles getting killed off by cold snaps. LIke most things, I like it the way it used to be.

Bozeman to Billings has gotten hammered pretty good the past 24-48 hours. Bridger Bowl has 9" of fresh in the past 48hrs.

We received 25 inches of snow in 24 hours in Corbin, MT. The Tizer Basin Snotel in the Elkhorns is reporting 29 inches. Only 15 miles to the north, there seems to be about 10 inches in Helena.

Pretty good base to begin the season for some Montana Mountain Ranges.

Attachments

• SNOW.jpg
    SNOW.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 295
Genesis - I know you killed a good bull two years ago, but your wasting your time hunting elk in Montana!! They are all dead and the MT FWP are a bunch of lairs, just ask BuzzH and he'll tell you so!!

It's actually very mild in northwest MT, and we have received good amounts of rain the past couple weeks and nice temps.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look elsewhere then, maybe Colorado or something. :confused: :D

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back