Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Unit 410 Block Management

Birddy

I have been doing a whole bunch of E Scouting lately and am finding myself over whelmed. Thankfully this unit has a lot of public to choose from. I am just now looking into the block management land. I am quickly realizing that i am going to need to pick a part of the unit and focus. Do you think the block management would be generally better than the BLM or CRM? If any one has suggestions on which block management properties would be worth looking into that would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me. Thank you in advance for any one willing to give a few pointers.

Not knowing where you're at in relation to the hunting district, I'll just making the following suggestions. E-scouting is a great tool but, nothing beats actually being there and looking over the terrain and seeing the usage first-hand, while hiking the ground. Use your e-scouting as a means to identify "potential" areas and then, have several of those areas lined up before you get there. You are likely to find your first few have no recent sign in them whatsoever and, you'll have to move on to the next. Be it BMA, BLM, NFS or whatever, be adaptable to what you find when you get there and be ready to move-on, if the area looks little used by the animals.

I think you meant CMR... and if it's anything like the north side and like @golfer said, they're everywhere. Doesn't matter whether it's BLM, BMA, or CMR etc... except with the tag we had last year we were within the 50 tags that could rifle hunt the CMR so we stuck to the CMR for less pressure but we also killed 1 of our bulls not on CMR.

My bud and I were glassing basically off a cliff into a big draw before dusk and right at dusk we turn around and 100yds behind us there's two cows feeding. No idea where they came from but there they were ha

They all hold elk. Find high points and glass. Most areas are open and you can see a lot of country. Don't get fixated on one general area we hunt up to 20 miles from camp sometimes there. Be very mobile.

I have been doing a whole bunch of E Scouting lately and am finding myself over whelmed. Thankfully this unit has a lot of public to choose from. I am just now looking into the block management land. I am quickly realizing that i am going to need to pick a part of the unit and focus. Do you think the block management would be generally better than the BLM or CRM? If any one has suggestions on which block management properties would be worth looking into that would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me. Thank you in advance for any one willing to give a few pointers.

Block Management is often used as a door that allows hunters to get to landlocked public land. There is no reason to separate the two in 410. Look at other threads on 410 and they may be helpful. You can PM me with details on your dates and thoughts and I can see if I can help you collect them into a plan. I am doing the same thing myself right now. Elk in 410 can be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Keep in mind that the closer your get to the river the thicker the cover. Most success there comes from stand hunters - like hunting white tails.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back