Montana State Land Corner Hopping!!!!????

JV842

Just fixing to fly home from an awesome trip!!! Will write it up later, but needless to say was definitely in the elk, was looking for antlers on this trip, coming back in November for meat, so past up quite a few legitimate archery opportunities.
My ?? is on the laws on corner hopping? I have looked into the laws; both wildlife and state, n they are extremely vague, almost to the point of “we don’t want the liability” I found a chunk of state land w quite abit of opportunity but going to bed the elk cross through the state land I’m hunting, through private and then bed on another chunk of state. There is no direct access to that piece but there is another very small piece of state land that is road accessible and it corners to that other piece of state land. Any advice?

Any advice?

Yes.
If you have any attorney friends that have lofty aspirations, get them on board, cross the imaginary line, take the violation (if it happens), and take the ride as far as it goes.
If the violation doesn't happen, or if your spot is in a county where the officials won't pursue the issue, congrats.
If the legal issue occurs and you and your attorney(s) take it as far as it will go (state supreme court or who knows - SCOTUS????) - you'll be a hero win or lose. At least in HT (small) universe.
Make sure your lawyer buddy(s) are willing to go pro bono:D

Or just go somewhere else...................................................

Search this forum and you will find some lengthy discussions of "corner hopping" which may be informative. Unless the access issue was recently resolved absent public knowledge, then I would advise against "corner hopping".

Question: Are you sure these are "state land" tracts? State sections or other state land parcels are typically not closely located to one another. Usually if in checkerboard array they are cornered with national forest, BLM, or private.

Positive it’s state land; unless OnX lied or me n my buddy’s son’s (who wants to be a lawyer; will be a good one for “us”) research failed us
Definite “Honey Holes!!”

It’s just over that hill!!!! My usual places were VOID of elk, wolves moved in. So me n my buddy’s son fired up the onX n maps, took a day n drove all over. Got back to his place that night n scoured over everything we found n found some very good land.

It’s just over that hill!!!! My usual places were VOID of elk, wolves moved in. So me n my buddy’s son fired up the onX n maps, took a day n drove all over. Got back to his place that night n scoured over everything we found n found some very good land.

This thing had promise, but if wolves are in general the area I wouldn't bother - damn things will likely eventually find those elk in your honey holes too.
They've ruint everything.
Prolly get a ticket in the process of attempting to access the state land nirvana, on which if you weren't sitting in a warden or deputy's back seat, you'd have just found a bunch of ravens picking carcasses and wolf tracks following fleeing wapiti across the fence to the next locked-up rich guy's trophy ranch.

Upside, there's always opportunities for meat cows during shoulder seasons.................................

Didn’t do the corner hop, there is a checkerboard of state land, n the one I was hunting definitely held elk, but 2 different heards (2 biggest bulls w 30+ cows each) mainly hung out in private, then would go bed in another spot (state land) n the only way to access that would be to go to another chunk of state land and corner hop that one. Laws to vague n didn’t want to end up in a sling!!

Got to be set up on the other side unless someone has a Batman issue grappling gun
Maybe I could grab one of our old school ones on display at the fire station!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back