Montana Spring Black Bears

Kyhunter42

I’m planning a spring bear trip with my best friend and his 16 y/o son during the first 2 weeks of June and I’m looking for a little input. We’ve taken multiple backpack hunting trip out west, but this is the first to the mountains of Montana. We’ve been looking at units 316 and 317, specifically Tobacco Root and Pioneer Mountains. We’ll be driving out from North Carolina. Our plan is to set up our wall tent as a base camp and hike in for a few days at a time. I understand that snow will determine the amount of access we will have where the bears will be. Does anyone have experience or advice for either of these two areas?

I would say at that time of year your going to be hunting bears that'll be on the move and spread out. Days are hotter as well so the opportunity of finding bears that aren't rubbed isn't gonna be impossible but you'll run the risk of it. Good luck either way you guys should have a blast.

I would say at that time of year your going to be hunting bears that'll be on the move and spread out. Days are hotter as well so the opportunity of finding bears that aren't rubbed isn't gonna be impossible but you'll run the risk of it. Good luck either way you guys should have a blast.
Thanks. I'd love to be up there earlier, but my buddy's daughter graduates high school the week before and that is the earliest we can go.

Do you know much about about that area? If it is warm should we focus on chasing the snow line to higher elevations?

My only experience hunting bears was Alaskan PWS. Completely different hunting them in the mountains compared to on beaches.

If I was driving that far to Montana I would go to an area with higher bear concentration (highest in the state).

Unit
If I was driving that far to Montana I would go to an area with higher bear concentration (highest in the state).
200 and 216 have the highest number of bears harvested. Not sure which units have the highest concentration of bears. Do you have any recommendations? We are limited to units that close June 15th (200, 216, 240, 280, 290, 316, 317, and 341)

NW corner (region 1) has the highest concentration but closes end of May. And its steep and thick.

200 is the farthest north we can after June 15. I really wanted to get up there earlier, but we can't leave NC until May 30. Do you have any experience in unit 200? Or do you have any recommendations?

In regards to the Tobacco Roots or The Pioneers no I don't know much. I have spent time in the Gallatin area a few times and it's probably comparable. Honestly sometimes your better off throwing a dart and exploring learning from trial and error. You'll find spots trust me no matter where your adventure takes you.

Typically late may and into June boars are cruising looking for Sows. Follow snow lines and pay attention early and late in the days. When it's high noon bears aren't moving especially on hotter sunny days, they get to hot.

Anywhere you choose it'll be fun good luck

In regards to the Tobacco Roots or The Pioneers no I don't know much. I have spent time in the Gallatin area a few times and it's probably comparable. Honestly sometimes your better off throwing a dart and exploring learning from trial and error. You'll find spots trust me no matter where your adventure takes you.

Typically late may and into June boars are cruising looking for Sows. Follow snow lines and pay attention early and late in the days. When it's high noon bears aren't moving especially on hotter sunny days, they get to hot.

Anywhere you choose it'll be fun good luck
Thanks for the feedback. This might turn into a backpack trip with a rifle, which is perfectly fine with me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back