Montana Spring Black Bear Time Of Season

Missouri1990

Hey Folks,
i'm a Montana hunting newbie here but have the itch to plan a spring black bear hunt next year. From my research so far, region 1 in the NW corner seems to have the largest BB concentration so that is what i am targeting. What i don't know is what would be considered the 'best' time to go. From what i gather, if the snow has not melted yet, its basically impossible to do these hunts efficiently. Anyone who lives up that way, when would you guess the 'best time' would be for a good mix between little chance for large snow fall, and still high number of black bear. I KNOW that snow can stay on longer some years than others, just asking for some local wisdom on at least trying to time things

From my experience if at all possible try and be flexible. Dont plan a specific week a year, half a year or even a few months out. Weeks or even days is your best option.

Thanks, folks. Due to scheduling, I have to plan it a while in advance. Gonna plan for second half of may.

May 15 is usually reliable for decent access. I tried some North face roads in the Yaak yesterday that still had 15+ inches. NO GO!

May 15 is usually reliable for decent access. I tried some North face roads in the Yaak yesterday that still had 15+ inches. NO GO!
Thanks for the tip. i've hunted wyoming before and found that many of the roads you see from online mapping is actually private roads that you can't access... is that the same in MT? looking at some of the stuff just NE of Missoula and many of the roads have 'names' but i don't want to count on them being open, then being shut out.

Back