Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Spring Bear!

Yooper906

Killed a few bears in the UP of Michigan over bait with my bow. Looking to try and head west to Montana for spot and stalk. Looking like I'll have around 6 days to hunt. If you had to pick a 6 day "time frame" what would those dates look like? I understand weather and other variables, but just need a little help. Currently, I am considering May 25-31, am I on the right track? Thanks!

Those are good dates, my question would be where are you thinking? You don't have to be exact either, the only reason I ask is we have some quota districts that are usually closed by then. Also later in the season bears are more wide spread due to food. Everything is greened up by then or fairly close so Bruins could be anywhere. Should be fun though either way. Spot and stalk bears are pretty damn fun. Good luck

Don't know where you are planning to go but Montana is big and has a diversity of terrain and elevations. The last two years, a couple of good spots I know for spot and stalk have still been under 2 feet of crusty snow at the end of May. The snow is coming off pretty quick at that time but it's frustrated me on more than one occasion. Whereever you go focus on south and southeast facing slopes with plenty of grass, water, and cover nearby. Bears are pretty hard to anticipate, but if you find a good spot you'll see some.

Back