Montana Limited Entry

MNElkNut

We struck out in WY, so we are planning an archery elk trip to MT this year. I have read a lot about how good the general tag is in MT, so we will give it a try. However, we might as well try for a limited entry tag, so I have been doing a lot of research on the units. After way too many hours in front of the computer, I can't see the forest because of all the trees! None of the LE units really stick out to me when I consider nonresident success, NR bow success, NR days/harvest, Forest Service land, etc. I have stayed away from the units where there are not big blocks of public land in the mountains as access issues and private ranches have me spooked. The good news is, some of the general units rank right up there with the LE units in my analysis (and I have had a couple people help me out with some great advice on that!). However, that leaves me confused. Some might say, hey, just be happy with the general tag.....but that leaves me thinking I am doing something wrong or missed something. Why are the odds 1% to draw a tag that returns only average success rates?

Does anybody have any tips on researching units they would be willing to share? I am trying to put in a lot of effort, but I only seem to be getting more frustrated! Sorry for the rant guys!

Call region offices in the area you're thinking of applying for and speak to the area biologist !

Montana's published success rates make no sense. They do something that involves hunter days that breaks my brain.

The best way I've found to look is by looking at the detailed harvest reports and seeing how many bulls FWP thinks were killed, and divide by how many antlered tags were given out. Obviously this only works in limited entry units.

Basically your options are to go for an easy to draw archery tag like the breaks, or go for a really good hunt that will be <1% odds with zero points.

Randy,

Thanks for making me feel better. Someone else understands! Wahoo!

I am having problems defining that really good hunt, but I will do what you suggested. Do you think NR vs R stats matter? I have been focusing on NR, since, well, I am a NR.

By the way, I watched your goat hunt the other day (at least I think that was you). Very nicely done!

if you want to shoot cows on a b tag that is always leftover i could point you in a very good direction with lots of public land . PM me if interested .

I feel your pain MNElkNut. For a NR I would suggest staying away from the hard to draw either sex tags that allow you to hunt both archery and rifle. A NR statistically has almost zero chance at these without a pile of bonus points or a very lucky rabbit foot.
Considering you are coming from MN I would look hard at codes 900-20, 631-21,620-21, 410-21. These units produce great Bulls every year with archery and are a lot easier to draw.
Hope you have a great 2016!

Steve,
Thanks, I will sort all my spreadsheets to those units and start looking at maps!

All, as I thought about this, I hope I didn't come off as complaining. We do this for fun and it should all be viewed in that context. as somewhat frustrating as it can be, I need to remember that I am extremely fortunate to even be able to go on an elk hunt in MT.

I put in for LE draws every year and don't draw. I'm perfectly happy with a general tag and will always put in for a cow tag for options. There are lots of great areas to find good critters with a general tag. Also a general tag is good for either sex during archery in many districts.

As for harvest stats, I'd take with a grain of salt. I wasn't even asked about my elk harvest on the phone survey this year.

I put in for LE draws every year and don't draw. I'm perfectly happy with a general tag and will always put in for a cow tag for options. There are lots of great areas to find good critters with a general tag. Also a general tag is good for either sex during archery in many districts.

As for harvest stats, I'd take with a grain of salt. I wasn't even asked about my elk harvest on the phone survey this year.

Ive never been asked about elk , only deer

Not sure where MT FWP gets there harvest data from?

I never hit check stations where I hunt and the phone surveys seem random at best.

I'm fairly sure MT FWP has no knowledge on the last 3 bulls I've killed. Not sure how they can post harvest stats but I honestly don't know so...

Lots of elk opportunity for bow hunters. If you will shoot a cow it opens up a ton of possibilities.

Like everybody says, general archery hunting is not bad at all. You will need to go farther west but most all units around Bozeman, Helena and Missoula will give you opportunity. Dillion is in the heart of some great ranges too.

If you don't draw one of those eastern archery units PM me and I can give you more specifics concerning general unit hunting.

NRs regardless of points are not guaranteed to draw from the "quota" the quota is essentially just the cap of how many NR tags can be drawn. Many times you will find that 0 NRs draw from many of these pools year after year.

NRs regardless of points are not guaranteed to draw from the "quota" the quota is essentially just the cap of how many NR tags can be drawn. Many times you will find that 0 NRs draw from many of these pools year after year.

No one is guaranteed to draw from the quota. Why is that a sham?

You do understand that unless/until the cap is hit, the NR has the same chance of drawing the tag as the residents, right....?

You do understand that unless/until the cap is hit, the NR has the same chance of drawing the tag as the residents, right....?
I do.

No one is guaranteed to draw from the quota. Why is that a sham?
But someone is going to draw. I was just pointing out that NRs are competing against residents for the tags. Many other states quotas actually mean that that specific number of NRs will draw, that is all. Hunt areas that have high volumes of resident applicants, the NR quota is often not met.

The 80% refund is what stings the most.

Not sure where MT FWP gets there harvest data from?

I never hit check stations where I hunt and the phone surveys seem random at best.

I'm fairly sure MT FWP has no knowledge on the last 3 bulls I've killed. Not sure how they can post harvest stats but I honestly don't know so...

Lots of elk opportunity for bow hunters. If you will shoot a cow it opens up a ton of possibilities.

Like everybody says, general archery hunting is not bad at all. You will need to go farther west but most all units around Bozeman, Helena and Missoula will give you opportunity. Dillion is in the heart of some great ranges too.

If you don't draw one of those eastern archery units PM me and I can give you more specifics concerning general unit hunting.
I'm not sure how their phone survey is conducted, but I can't recall when the last time was that I didn't get a call. Seems like this would be their best way to get harvest numbers. Maybe the NR folks are a little harder to track? Anyone on here work the phone survey for FWP?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back