Montana general rifle?

Badger_55

I really want to get my dad a good opportunity for a bull. We do have our own animals and will certainly work for it... im looking for some help as we hold no points for the state. Ive been researching the fwp sites... im thinking region 3. But torn... any reviews on 316,317,330or 360????? Ive been hunting the state of wyoming for the past 5 years archery mule deer saving points for elk. But thats archery and dad doesn't do that... id love to see him take a bull.
Thank you

There's lots of good general units if u put your time in he'll have his chance

Since you have horses, your odds in SW Montana just went up a notch. Probably sounds too simple, but get away from people, which you can do much easier with horses, and you will find elk. Good luck.

Anyone hunt 317 300 302?? I have been really utilizing the hunt plan option from Montana's fwp... I have sent emails out to the designated biologists.. would you guys try the elk combo or the big game combo in these areas?

Anyone hunt 317 300 302?? I have been really utilizing the hunt plan option from Montana's fwp... I have sent emails out to the designated biologists.. would you guys try the elk combo or the big game combo in these areas?

personally, no matter where you are gonna chase elk in MT , I would buy the BIG game combo , its only what ? 130 dollars more roughly than the elk combo. About the time u just have a elk tag a 28" muley will stand in front of u . Buy the BIg game combo.

another way I look at it is like this , when going on an out of state hunt a very important part to me is bringing home the Bacon, and since a deer is usually a sinch to get you can always fall back on that for the meat if you aren't successful in getting an elk . Just my .02

another way I look at it is like this , when going on an out of state hunt a very important part to me is bringing home the Bacon, and since a deer is usually a sinch to get you can always fall back on that for the meat if you aren't successful in getting an elk . Just my .02

Good advice. My hunting party went 0 for 3 on elk this past year, but 3 for 3 on deer.

That makes complete sense. I really enjoy mule as well.
thanks all!

Some of the units you're looking at require a special permit to hunt mule deer bucks. Keep that in mind and keep regulations handy while you're out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the deer tag, I've hunted MT for the past several years and I have not seen a deer that made me wish I had a tag yet. (At least while in an OTC area)

I wouldn't worry too much about the deer tag, I've hunted MT for the past several years and I have not seen a deer that made me wish I had a tag yet. (At least while in an OTC area)

It's only $130 or so more , when we nr's are already spending 900 it's worth it to make sure we bring home something . I travel 700 miles to hunt montana so I'm bringing something home to make sausage out of

Do you drive there? If I drove I probably would buy the tag, but when airline costs are considered I cant justify the tag. Plus I would rather focus on killing a bull versus getting distracted by chasing deer.

Do you drive there? If I drove I probably would buy the tag, but when airline costs are considered I cant justify the tag. Plus I would rather focus on killing a bull versus getting distracted by chasing deer.

i drive yes . And yes I am there for elk, but mule deer are like Flys where we hunt, nothing big usually , but easy to get a buck . We will be there for about 8 hunting days, the last afternoon on day 8 at 4 pm if I don't have a elk yet ill drive to a spot where the mules are feeding , pick one out and shoot it . Its that easy..... Like I said, I want the meat. Now, if I do get a Elk, the deer tag will most likely go unfilled unless Mr 25plus incher walks by.

If your just looking for meat, just apply for a cow tag in June. It will save you $600, and filling a cow tag would be super easy in the spots I hunted the last two years.
I'm not familiar with the units you recommended, but region 3 is good elk country.

Im thinking that im going to go with the deer combo... I agree about taking having any increased opportunity to take some meat home... im looking at 362 now... any info on that??. I've beem talking with the areas biologist too.

Got ya... of course im willing to sacrifice deer numbers for elk opportunities though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back