Montana 2023

tillicant

Looking for just some basic info. Wife & I are talking about a Montana vacation/hunt in 2023.
Have hunted Co numerous times, not too often we hunt the same place twice, just too much to see.
Looking at an area NE of Hamilton. I'm new to the application process in Montana but would like to apply for a combo, we're more into the meat than the antlers. We try to come up with a cabin rental close to a public area, can't get the wife to camp, not sure if it would be good for my old bones anyhow.
The area I just picked off of google maps. Wife is squeamish when the word Grizzly comes up, don't want to ruin a vacation by taking her to an area that she is uncomfortable in.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best advice currently is to wait for the hunting regulations issues to be sorted out and new regs printed; then study them and ask questions of Montana FWP and here.

The grizzly bear phobia is greatly hyped and I (as a lifelong senior citizen hunter) would bet you never even see one unless you travel through Glacier NP. You are more likely to be threatened by a Bitterroot Valley wannabe militia man than a bear!

Area is permit only for mule deer. Grizzlies have been spotted, but rare. Lots of lions though. Not exactly an elk hunting hot spot. mtmuley

Director Worsech believes no one has time to read. Shoot what you want, whenever you want.
This isn't really helpful and patently false.

There are resident grizzlies just north and east of the Bitterroot. There are also transient grizzlies throughout, so there is the possibility of seeing them, but very low. Access will be your biggest challenge, closely followed by hunting pressure. The elk will be up high during archery, but will be in the valley floors by first week of rifle. This seems like an obvious piece of information, but helpful if you don't know the area. Definitely pick up a wolf tag since they are increasing over here.

This isn't really helpful and patently false.

There are resident grizzlies just north and east of the Bitterroot. There are also transient grizzlies throughout, so there is the possibility of seeing them, but very low. Access will be your biggest challenge, closely followed by hunting pressure. The elk will be up high during archery, but will be in the valley floors by first week of rifle. This seems like an obvious piece of information, but helpful if you don't know the area. Definitely pick up a wolf tag since they are increasing over here.
You can kiss his ass all you want. The directors office has no interest in listening to average hunters and this commission has proven time and time again they have no understanding that they manage a finite resource.

Cue up the passive aggressive post about “choosing to complain or be involved.”

tillicant- Is there any reason in particular you picked Hamilton area? There is a ton of elk near Victor/Hamilton (or at least from what I see when we visit) but they are on private land. I think the wolf and hunter pressure forces them to the valley bottoms. Depending on the season/weather hunting can be good or dismal. Is there any reason you don’t hunt Colorado? I’m a resident of Montana, but plan to hunt Colorado next Oct/November if that tells you anything. Jumping from area to area or state to state is not the best approach to filling elk tags unless your deep pockets. Don’t let the pissing match above derail your plans.

This photo is on a older ladies property that enjoys seeing elk too in the Bitterroot. I’ve tried every possible to access it and it’s not happening. It’s Gods couuntry and would be a great place to take your rifle for a hike and have a 5-10% or less chance of harvesting an elk.IMG_3359.JPG

tillicant- Is there any reason in particular you picked Hamilton area? There is a ton of elk near Victor/Hamilton (or at least from what I see when we visit) but they are on private land. I think the wolf and hunter pressure forces them to the valley bottoms. Depending on the season/weather hunting can be good or dismal. Is there any reason you don’t hunt Colorado? I’m a resident of Montana, but plan to hunt Colorado next Oct/November if that tells you anything. Jumping from area to area or state to state is not the best approach to filling elk tags unless your deep pockets. Don’t let the pissing match above derail your plans.

This photo is on a older ladies property that enjoys seeing elk too in the Bitterroot. I’ve tried every possible to access it and it’s not happening. It’s Gods couuntry and would be a great place to take your rifle for a hike and have a 5-10% or less chance of harvesting an elk.View attachment 205873
I live here and have hunted the Root for 40 years or so. tillicant, pm if you want. mtmuley

Tough spot to come into blind from out of state but it’s pretty country.

Learn what kind of country elk like that time of year, get away from the truck, move slow and watch the wind.

I live here and have hunted the Root for 40 years or so. tillicant, pm if you want. mtmuley
Thanks to all,
No special reason for not hunting CO, have a couple of points each, just getting older, back isn't getting any better, been working with a bad rotator for years, that's not fixing itself. Want to experience as much as I can before I can't.
Thats why I'm here, seems like a good place to start.

Best advice currently is to wait for the hunting regulations issues to be sorted out and new regs printed; then study them and ask questions of Montana FWP and here.

The grizzly bear phobia is greatly hyped and I (as a lifelong senior citizen hunter) would bet you never even see one unless you travel through Glacier NP. You are more likely to be threatened by a Bitterroot Valley wannabe militia man than a bear!
Thanks, have some time. Will have her do some research on the Bitterroot Valley wannabe militia man, will bear spray work on them😉

You will probably find Montana disappointing having hunted in Colorado.
Hunted hard in Colorado, we usually try for a cow/combo deer-elk hunt. We did not draw for the area this year and never saw a deer. Still have our points.
Only saw two shadow elk. 7 days out
Great hunt overall, Colorado can be disappointing also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back