Carbon fiber Model 70 build

@p_ham
I gotta ask.
How do you index the high side at 12 without actually screwing it into the receiver?

Indexed high when hand tight, or did you take torquing into account?

Curious minds wanna know! Lol

You do screw the receiver on. After the threads are cut, indicate the muzzle and mark the high side (at the tenon shoulder). Cut the shoulder back until you're a couple degrees from TDC. You can also index at 6 o'clock if that's closest.

Same basic process for timing a muzzle brake.

Well, with all the lathe pics, thought i'd share what happened at work today.

Guy running the Haas ST35 had put a piece of 4140 shaft in to machine. 6" diameter X 4" thick slab off of a shaft.
We were all standing around talking, doing our shift turn over.

Suddenly BANG, BOOM, BOOM BANG!!

Piece is out of the jaws, laying on the chip conveyor.

Seems he forgot to put the 1.75" drill in and it tried to drill with the 1.25" boring bar.
Of course for those that don't know, the closer to the center of a piece your working, the faster the lathe spins.

Just glad it wasn't me!

Well, with all the lathe pics, thought i'd share what happened at work today.

Guy running the Haas ST35 had put a piece of 4140 shaft in to machine. 6" diameter X 4" thick slab off of a shaft.
We were all standing around talking, doing our shift turn over.

Suddenly BANG, BOOM, BOOM BANG!!

Piece is out of the jaws, laying on the chip conveyor.

Seems he forgot to put the 1.75" drill in and it tried to drill with the 1.25" boring bar.
Of course for those that don't know, the closer to the center of a piece your working, the faster the lathe spins.

Just glad it wasn't me!
I worked in a shop machining raw carbide for a while. It's not solid, it's powder and a wax mixture that are super compressed. Lots of come-aparts in that place.

I worked in a shop machining raw carbide for a while. It's not solid, it's powder and a wax mixture that are super compressed. Lots of come-aparts in that place.
I use a lot of carbide tipped tooling and can say that 20-30% of it is freaking sketchy. Kennametal used to be the industry leader and innovators in carbide tipped tooling, now it's hard to differentiate between what's real and counterfeit. China has flooded the global market with counterfeit tooling...... and it's impossible to differentiate until you put it down the hole.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back