Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Carbon fiber Model 70 build

An update for @std7mag

I got my receiver/ bolt jig opened up to fit the Winchester.

Started by truing up the receiver face. I don't know what Win's order of ops is but the might rethink it.

The lugs were .0025" out from each other after truing the face up.

The bolt was pretty good. Just a skim cut to clean everything up.

VideoCapture_20230124-202212.jpgVideoCapture_20230124-202215.jpgVideoCapture_20230124-202244.jpgVideoCapture_20230124-202301.jpg20230124_201229.jpg20230124_201241.jpg20230124_201247.jpg

Looks great! Are you cutting the threads oversized on this action or just cleaning them up?

@p_ham,

I take it if you open up the threads on the receiver that you inform the customer that it's not standard thread size for that make/model receiver?

Would really suck if 2yrs down the road they see a Win barrel for sale in a different cartridge thinking they are just gonna screw it on.

I take it .0025" is bad on lugs.
I'm machining parts for hydraulic cylinders everyday.
All the tolerances really depend on where in the cylinder it is.
Usually +/-.002.
Sometimes things like +.005/-0 or +0/-.001.
Then when they measure in fractions, it's within .062

Last edited:
@p_ham,

I take it if you open up the threads on the receiver that you inform the customer that it's not standard thread size for that make/model receiver?

Would really suck if 2yrs down the road they see a Win barrel for sale in a different cartridge thinking they are just gonna screw it on. :oops:
Why buy another barrel when you could have @p_ham just make you a new one. Something tells me once you go custom you aren’t looking at the sale rack anymore

@p_ham,

Would really suck if 2yrs down the road they see a Win barrel for sale in a different cartridge thinking they are just gonna screw it on.

I take it .0025" is bad on lugs.
I'm machining parts for hydraulic cylinders everyday.
All the tolerances really depend on where in the cylinder it is.
Usually +/-.002.
Sometimes things like +.005/-0 or +0/-.001.
Then when they measure in fractions, it's within .062
The thread size gets lasered into the bottom side of the action.

.0025" is enough to only get contact on one lug. If it's under .0015" the bolt and receiver lugs can be lapped in for better contact. You're looking for 75%+ contact. Remember it's a registration face against a part that has no theoretical axial pivot.

I suspect the actions have the bolt raceway bored and broached/ EDM cut, then the face/threads/lugs cut in a separate op. Easy to see how they could skew one direction or another. I also suspect that's why Savage uses floating bolt heads. It's more forgiving for manufacturing shortcomings.

Wait? There’s a video? Is it going up on Instagram? I hate FB.

It's on Insta too. Just a time-lapse of doing the bolt.

Last edited:
Remember it's a registration face against a part that has no theoretical axial pivot.
Had to think on that one!

Blew one of our new machists minds when he heard the term circular interpolation. :oops:
Was his new catch phrase for about a week.
Then i told him it's an ever expanding orbit about a central axis. :unsure:
Now he's just as confused as when he first started.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back