Carbon fiber Model 70 build

p_ham

I was sent a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather to build.

20221230_103608.jpg

1st step is a full breakdown.

20221230_105741.jpg

Next the receiver and bolt will get indicated in and trued up in the lathe. The machine work on this action was very well done so I don't think it will take much. I need to open the bore on my receiver fixture to be able to fit the Winchester action. Stay tuned..

I was sent a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather to build.

View attachment 260348

1st step is a full breakdown.

View attachment 260349

Next the receiver and bolt will get indicated in and trued up in the lathe. The machine work on this action was very well done so I don't think it will take much. I need to open the bore on my receiver fixture to be able to fit the Winchester action. Stay tuned..
P_ham,

Would you mind posting the weight of the action/bolt, I’m considering a very similar build and have been trying to decide between custom/semi custom because I would prefer crf and 3-position safety but haven’t been able to find what a Winchester action weights. I even called Winchester eventually I got passed to a gunsmith and he said they didn’t have that info.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

P_ham,

Would you mind posting the weight of the action/bolt, I’m considering a very similar build and have been trying to decide between custom/semi custom because I would prefer crf and 3-position safety but haven’t been able to find what a Winchester action weights. I even called Winchester eventually I got passed to a gunsmith and he said they didn’t have that info.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
WSM stainless action with bottom metal, screws, trigger- 2lb 8.9oz
Bare receiver + bolt- 1lb 14.7oz

Keep in mind stainless is roughly 5% heavier than carbon steel.

Who makes the extreme weather stock? What barrel profile is that? Ive never had my hands on an extreme weather. That build should be awesome. Ive been wanting to do my 70 classic for awhile. I was leaning towards a proof carbon barrel and hs stock. Trying to keep the stock to a dropin. Kind of hard with the m70. It started life as a 270 wsm. But leaning towards 6.5 prc for the rebuild.

Who makes the extreme weather stock? What barrel profile is that? Ive never had my hands on an extreme weather. That build should be awesome. Ive been wanting to do my 70 classic for awhile. I was leaning towards a proof carbon barrel and hs stock. Trying to keep the stock to a dropin. Kind of hard with the m70. It started life as a 270 wsm. But leaning towards 6.5 prc for the rebuild.
Bell & Carlson makes the stock. The barrel is a standard sporter contour, I'd have to measure it to figure out the specifics. Probably around a #3.
270wsm and 6.5 prc are both good choices.

300WSM
Proof barrel
AG Composites stock
Timney trigger
APA brake
Talley rings
VX6-HD

I'm curious about how the inlet of the AG composites stock is being done. Are you doing entire thing from a flat top stock? Modifying an existing inlet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back