Model 70 Featherweight Stainless, Dark Maple

HighDesertSage

What do you guys think would be a fair price for the below rifle given how hard guns are to come buy these days? I have an opportunity to buy one NIB locally, but I think they are asking way to much for it. I'm willing to pay a little more due to current availability, but not get taken for a ride. Also, anyone have any experience with the new 70's? Thanks!

Awesome looking rifle! Looking forward to answers on this question also. This gun, a Model 70 Super Grade, and a Browning X Bolt White Gold Medallion, are all on my short list, as I have never owned a Model 70 or a Browning rifle. Have no idea on availability or cost however.

That is a pretty and classy rifle! Sorry I can't be much more help than that.

Not sure what constitutes new M70...ive got a fwt from 2008 in 300wsm (so not new but not pre64 or new haven either...) Smooth and accurate and I'm glad to own it.

Kind of seems like every rifle owner should have at least one good model 70, right?

In this market,seems reasonable to me. Bench mark for a price at least. Never bought a new rifle,nor a 70.
But it's one of the few factory rifles I would own.
There's a pair of maple 30-06's in local store,Rem 700 & a Win 70 I drool over. But they're lefties................
waiting to see if a Weatherby comes to tease me.

I really don't care what rifle your looking at, It's worth whatever you are willing to pay! There is, to me, a real problem today with people looking to buy rifles. They find one they think they might like then get on the internet to try to find out what it's worth. of course people that don't care for the brand call it to much and people that are in love with something elsedon't even mention the rifle you ask about but try to sell you their pet rifle! If that Model 70 was $5k and the money wasn't a problem for you, what difference does price make? Guns should not be looked at as a financial investment you hope grows Assume for a moment it did actually increase a great deal in price but you fell in love with it! Now what? Gonna sell the love of your life for nothing more than money?

So,I think the only one that can decide what any gun is worth is the guy looking to buy the gun! I gave something over $600 for my Mod 70 FW in about 2006. If I felt I needed another one today, I'd see about afford, whatever the price and then decide for myself what I'd do. Let's assume it's a shotgun you want and price doesn't matter. You look at a $600 CZ and a $100K Purdy. Which one you gonna get? In my view, the $600 gun does everything the $100K gun does and with care will likely work as well just as long!

So, I think the real question here is, is the price they are asking for the rifle your looking at good for you? If it is, go for it! Something that has occurred to me over the years is that buying a gun is not about investing money, it's about supporting your ego!

You know some people love things of beauty that are also functional; fine rifles, nice knives, etc. And art. Others care only for the functional. Neither approach wrong. People are different.

What confuses me about Winchester is why they can't decide where they want to make their rifles, but I too want one of those maple-stocked Super Grades. They were $1100 here before Covid. I originally posted more, but that was for the Super Grade; the Featherweight was less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid about 350 less than msrp on the extreme tungsten I purchased online. So far, I've been extremely happy with it, although I haven't shot it as much as I wish I had. I've been busy following DouglasR on his ski trip, and skiing here at home. I've probably got less than a box of shells down the tube, but it's settling in to be sub-moa, and it's just like my other M70's, it shoots.

Maple stock on a featherweight rifle seems to be an oxymoron. Maple is much denser and heavier than walnut. Also much more brittle so drilling out a lot of wood to lighten it might not be a great solution.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Somebody else swooped it up while I was kicking it around. Oh well, just like AZ, on to the next one.

For those who where asking, it was a 270 win, NIB, and he was asking $1450. It seems alot of dealers are also asking full MSRP these days.

Thanks!

I really don't care what rifle your looking at, It's worth whatever you are willing to pay! There is, to me, a real problem today with people looking to buy rifles. They find one they think they might like then get on the internet to try to find out what it's worth. of course people that don't care for the brand call it to much and people that are in love with something elsedon't even mention the rifle you ask about but try to sell you their pet rifle! If that Model 70 was $5k and the money wasn't a problem for you, what difference does price make? Guns should not be looked at as a financial investment you hope grows Assume for a moment it did actually increase a great deal in price but you fell in love with it! Now what? Gonna sell the love of your life for nothing more than money?

So,I think the only one that can decide what any gun is worth is the guy looking to buy the gun! I gave something over $600 for my Mod 70 FW in about 2006. If I felt I needed another one today, I'd see about afford, whatever the price and then decide for myself what I'd do. Let's assume it's a shotgun you want and price doesn't matter. You look at a $600 CZ and a $100K Purdy. Which one you gonna get? In my view, the $600 gun does everything the $100K gun does and with care will likely work as well just as long!

So, I think the real question here is, is the price they are asking for the rifle your looking at good for you? If it is, go for it! Something that has occurred to me over the years is that buying a gun is not about investing money, it's about supporting your ego!
Damn thought you were full of shit. By the end I was convinced. Good job!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back