Midwest boot hunt!

Fisherkid1

So im from Wisconsin/Illinois.
I go to chicago for work daily.

Im having a miserable time finding quality boots to utilize out west.
Keens, Merrill and Hitec seem to be everyones go to round here. REI had some Lowas that were midline

Im more interested in the lifetime boots, Schnees, Crispi, Kenetrek but they are nowhere near me.

Im a construction worker kinda guy and abuse boots worse than anyone and know how crucial boots are on your body/day/trip .
I have the redwing premium boots that are EEE width and my feet are still wider than those. My feet stretch the leather over the soles.

I have zero interest in dealing with having them shipped (amazon or direct) to try them on. Last thing i need is a set of boots that gets scuffed in the mail and i cant get a refund.

At this point im willing to drive to find some as i would like to break them in before the seasons roll around.

Any help appreciated!

How far to your nearest Cabela's? A pair of Meindl Perfekts or Denalis are my two preferred boots. They are a good bit less expensive than Kenetrek/Crispi, but they aren't cheap either. They are the best boots I've worn, including one pair of custom made boots. Of course, I do have pretty normal feet that are relatively easy to please.

Avoid the Meindl Ultralights however. They fall apart very quickly.

I have had the Perfekts for a year now and they have bee very good to me. Solid, very comfy, good support and that great Cabela's guarantee. I have D-EE feet and got the medium width with good room. Try the wides.

I have the Meindls also and I like them. Not sure how far you are willing to drive but Scheels in Springfield IL carries a decent inventory of Kenetrek. I’d estimate that it’ll be about a 3 1/2 hour drive from up your way.

How far to your nearest Cabela's? A pair of Meindl Perfekts or Denalis are my two preferred boots. They are a good bit less expensive than Kenetrek/Crispi, but they aren't cheap either. They are the best boots I've worn, including one pair of custom made boots. Of course, I do have pretty normal feet that are relatively easy to please.

Avoid the Meindl Ultralights however. They fall apart very quickly.

Was at cabelas last week. They may have phased them out cause all they had were their "cabelas/bass pro" brand boots. Ill check there again this week just to double check. But the cabelas in Hoffman estates Il made me want to cry. And the 11% sales tax hurts

I have the Meindls also and I like them. Not sure how far you are willing to drive but Scheels in Springfield IL carries a decent inventory of Kenetrek. I’d estimate that it’ll be about a 3 1/2 hour drive from up your way.

Shit ill drive down there. Go see some buddies while im at it!
I didnt know scheels had that good of boots. Im often in Des Moines for work stuff and frequent the scheels there.
Maybe a business trip is in order!

Yeah they carry several models down this way, not all of them though. With your wide size I’d call to make sure they have them to try on! Good luck!

I just checked online and did NOT see the Perfekts....or Denalis.......that would just suck if they dropped them :(

Was at cabelas last week. They may have phased them out cause all they had were their "cabelas/bass pro" brand boots. Ill check there again this week just to double check. But the cabelas in Hoffman estates Il made me want to cry. And the 11% sales tax hurts
Cabelas as a general rule sucks since the merger. I belive the Meindls are labels as Cabelas boots by Meindl so you might have missed them. Or they could be gone.

Cabelas as a general rule sucks since the merger. I belive the Meindls are labels as Cabelas boots by Meindl so you might have missed them. Or they could be gone.

Yeah they have became the evil conglomerate of the outdoor world.
Its real hard for me to spend $ there.

Scheels in Iowa City has both Kenetreks and Crispi. Bought my Crispi boots there. Doubt they will have the wide width you're looking for in stock though.

I have a total of (4) pairs of Meindls. A pair of duty boots, a pair of the Perfekt Hikers, a pair of the Perfekt Hunters, and a pair of the Alaskan Hunters with the rubber rand. Great boots IMO.

I live in Geneva ( west suburb of Chicago) and I never go into Cabelas any more. It is worthless. ON top of the 11% sales tax, the per round of ammo tax is pretty ridiculous. Only been here 18 months and we are ready to leave.

If you have an EEE+ foot, I think ordering is going to be your only option, even in store. I'm lucky to even find manufacturers that still build on a narrow last.

I just checked online and did NOT see the Perfekts....or Denalis.......that would just suck if they dropped them :(
They've dropped most of the Meindl boots they used to carry. If you can find them, they've had ridiculous close out prices on them. I've picked up 3 pairs at different stores, all under $100.

You could consider a custom boot shop like Russell Moccason in Wisconsin. Some people love their boots. I have one pair and will not be ordering another. But then my feet are normal and really someone or candidates for custom boot requirements.

Geneva, eh? I lived in Saint Charles 40 some years ago. I've never been back. I suspect I would not recognize any of it.

I have a total of (4) pairs of Meindls. A pair of duty boots, a pair of the Perfekt Hikers, a pair of the Perfekt Hunters, and a pair of the Alaskan Hunters with the rubber rand. Great boots IMO.

I live in Geneva ( west suburb of Chicago) and I never go into Cabelas any more. It is worthless. ON top of the 11% sales tax, the per round of ammo tax is pretty ridiculous. Only been here 18 months and we are ready to leave.

Oh yeah, i grew up west of Elgin. My sister works at Delnor on Randall. I feel your pain, i shoot geese with a 10ga, nowhere carries shells but there for a quick local buy. Ordering cases from rogers this year.

Got your boots there before they shut down the sales?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back