Meat spoilage

Ldonovan

I’m in Arizona, my question is if I’m alone hunting and have to make 2 trips to pack out, how long do I have to get meat on ice before it spoils. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Keep it in the shade and out of the sun and bag it to keep insects out of it is key. Unless the temps above 80 you have enough time. Above 80 you got less than a couple hours IMHO, but I know some will disagree with me here. Below 80, you got a couple hours at least. If night time temps range from 32-70 and you have it bagged to keep insects out, you got plenty of time. I would get it cleaned and cooled ASAP as soon as you get back to your base camp. The outside of the meat is going to dry out and you'll have to shave that off, but your muscle groups are contained in membranes aka silverskin for the most part and will serve to protect the meat some. Your biggest threat will be insects and predators.

Once you get good chill on meat you've got plenty of time even if it's warm during the day. Getting it opened up and cool in timely manner especially the neck
I've seen elk spoil in very cold temperatures due not opening the neck. If it gets supper hot during day we have made an impromptu swamp cooler with wet bags and tarps and stored through some high temperatures during bow season

Once you get good chill on meat you've got plenty of time even if it's warm during the day. Getting it opened up and cool in timely manner especially the neck
I've seen elk spoil in very cold temperatures due not opening the neck. If it gets supper hot during day we have made an impromptu swamp cooler with wet bags and tarps and stored through some high temperatures during bow season
Are you saying you kept the meat cool and damp with wet bags and a tarp?

Are you saying you kept the meat cool and damp with wet bags and a tarp?
No, we would build a shady area with tarp then cover the tarps with soaked material, evaporation cools area under tarp. Meat never exposed to moisture. If you keep the material wet it will create enough temperature change to cool meat, just got to have airflow.

I ve kept elk in super hot weather, not by choice, without meat loss. It works in pinch, but a full time job keeping material wet

I shot an Elk two years ago in WY and the temps were mid/upper 80's. I quarter and lay those on logs in the shade so they case over, then bag and hang in the shade. The wind will cool them down while you pack. I made 4 trips although not very long ones. From the time I shot it till all was in the truck was half a day. The truck was the hottest spot as there were no trees.

This was a major concern of mine on a solo Bull hunt in high day temps during a September. It worked out well for me, shooting the small bull at first light and finishing the pack out in darkness. I shot the bull about a 1/2 mile from a shaded willowed covered creek bottom. The temp in the shady creek bottom with a slight wind was much lower than kill location. I used the gutless method and bagged the four quarters and backstrap etc. I then packed the meat back and forth to the creek, placing the bags on top of bent willows for air circulation. Bees and flies were very bad, used Caribou bags and they were great. Then started trips to the truck, starting with hams (biggest muscle=most vulnerable to spoiled) where I had two large coolers and plenty of ice (frozen milk jugs and some party ice). My system was get the truck, get meat on ice, hydrate eat and head back. Upon return to meat I would check each bag, rotate them and head out with the next largest. Towards afternoon I dipped one of those large scarfs the tactical guys wear (shemagh?) rung out and placed on top of bag, not sure if it helped much but felt cool. I also ran para cord through the back straps and tied to bag cord so they would not bunch up, hanging bags would also be an option but willows worked great. Just wanted as much surface area exposed to air. Finished last pack around 9 or 10 pm.
Day high temp hit upper 80s but meat was fine. If I had to leave over night I would have deboned everything.
You mentioned two trips so I assume you are talking deer. Take rear quarters out first, remember to cool as much as possible before putting in pack. Shade and air circulation for what's left.

Put meat in something like these bags and either tie the draw string around the bag top or knot the bags (to keep the bugs out), put them in the shade either on branches or hanging from a tree, and you will have quite a while. Obviously depends on temp, but I've not had anything spoil in less than a day (can't remember anything spoiling at all, now that I think about it).
Aoudad in 100 degrees was cool in the shade of a rock at 6 hours post-kill when I went back for load two.

I'm lucky to always have creeks in my hunting areas. I'll put the meat in plastic bags and leave them in the creek. I've never had a critter get to them. I feel it works much better than hanging but not everybody will have a creek handy. Hanging is the next best choice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back