MAPLand Act Introduced

406LIFE

I think this might be like finding buried treasure if it can pass. So many easements that no one is aware of just because the sit in a drawer somewhere and never get published. Untold access...

@Big Fin we were just talking about this. Did you have a birthday wish?

TRCP does a good job talking about this:

And another:

Last edited:
I think this might be like finding buried treasure if it can pass. So many easements that no one is aware of just because the sit in a drawer somewhere and never get published. Untold access...

@Big Fin we were just talking about this. Did you have a birthday wish?

It wasn't my birthday, but I knew this was coming. I didn't know it would rise to the top this soon. I hinted about it in other threads of how onX and RMEF were helping Region 1 of the USFS with this concept.

A big thanks to TRCP for pushing the ball forward on this. Not sure if hunters realize how effective TRCP is for our cause in the halls of Congress. Also a big thanks to @joelweb for his work.

Now, if we can just get Congress to act on this and the other good bills in front of them before the crazies decide they can't stand for such sanity.

This is a much bigger task than most folks realize, and though I agree it needs to happen, it will also invite a big pile of controversy and litigation. That's not a bad thing, they just need to prepare for it.

On a somewhat related note, if private companies like OnX, are to be involved with public agency work like this, it needs to be explicitly stated that the data derived from the process is publicly available.

The fact Fulcher is a co sponsor on a pro public land bill is mind blowing to me

Appreciate the kind words. This is a product of all of the work and effort that has gone into expanding public access over the past decade. Include the advocacy efforts of those on this forum. It is great to see Senators McSally and King, and Representatives Fulcher and Kilmer recognize the need to expand access opportunities on our public lands. It takes bipartisan leadership to get things done and they've stepped up here. Now we need to get it passed.

Here is an article that ran in the Idaho Statesman this morning: https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hiking/article241064781.html

Nameless Range -- The bill specifies that this information would be made public through the agency websites. onX could use it, and so could you. There is also a 3 year $33.5 million dollar authorization to get the work done. This is a task that will need to get completed in the modern era, and we will all benefit more if it is done sooner than later. For your ease of review and consideration, I've cut and pasted the policy aspects of the bill below.

mapland text 0.pngmapland text 1.pngmapland text 2.png

Last edited:
I feel like for as much complaining as many of us have done about the state of Conservation the last 4 years, we currently have some of the best legislation before us, with real hopes of them actually passing. I know it goes to show people like me, who staunchly believe the current administration is working to undermine my interests more than support them, that things can change and perceptions are not always accurate. I greatly appreciate everyone who's actively work on these topics, from true experts like @joelweb to joe schmoe's who just called their congressional rep.

What a great bill - glad to see this sort of thing getting bipartisan support; no small task in this era! It will be really interesting to see if any recorded easements turn up for otherwise landlocked parcels of federal lands...what a win that would be for public land users.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back