Lunch meat

Buckskinbob

Anyone make lunch meat from their game animals? Either thin sliced meat or bologna? I make my lunches everyday and it is usually a sandwich, so I'm interested to here your recipes.

I'm thinking of a smoked bear ham sliced nice and thin, Or having a whole deer turned into bologna after I get my jerky piled up.

I'll smoke elk roasts and turkey breasts and slice them thin for lunch meat. Cut across the grain for the elk or it's a bitch to eat.

I'm gonna go try and locate some elk roasts still on the hoof tomorrow. Does it get tough like jerky when you smoke the whole thing? I've not smoked anything except fish and jerky in my little chief smoker. Can you wet brine elk roasts?

Lots and lots of pounds of elk/deer/goose corned and pastrami eaten in this house.

Use your bigger rear quarter roasts and as Cushman said, cut against the grain and you will be happy.

The easiest/best recipe I’ve used is Hank Shawn’s corned venison, but instead of boiling I hit it with pepper and smoke it at 220 on pellet grill until it hits 140. In the fridge until cold then sliced as this as possible across the grain.

Around my house we make roast beast. Usually nice sized roast but have done it with other cuts and always turn out good, backstraps are always most tender but all are good. Sousvide with spices and bacon grease bigger chucks 24 hours at 125, littler pieces like straps 3 or so hours. Then char them on grill on all sides, place in fridge. Once chilled slice thin on a electric slicer. I then sprinkle some extra garlic salt on whole pile and freeze in pound packages. Favorite way to eat is on good bun with some horadish mustard and provalone cheese but will sometimes eat it in camp over instant taters and make some mushroom gravy.

I'm gonna go try and locate some elk roasts still on the hoof tomorrow. Does it get tough like jerky when you smoke the whole thing? I've not smoked anything except fish and jerky in my little chief smoker. Can you wet brine elk roasts?
Depends on the roast you use. Smoke it to about 140-145 and wrap it and let it cool down in a cooler. You want some pink in it even for lunch meat. I don't brine elk roasts for lunch meat unless I'm making corned. A good dose of coarse salt and cracked black pepper is all I use, like a prime rib. Turkey sometimes I'll marinate in apple cider for a few days before I smoke it.

Last edited:
Depends on the roast you use. Smoke it to about 140-145 and wrap it and let it cool down in a cooler. You want some pink in it even for lunch meat. I don't brine elk roasts for lunch meat unless I'm making corned. A good dose of coarse salt and cracked black pepper is all I use, like a prime rib. Turkey sometimes I'll marinate in apple cider for a few days before I smoke it.
Thanks!

Around my house we make roast beast. Usually nice sized roast but have done it with other cuts and always turn out good, backstraps are always most tender but all are good. Sousvide with spices and bacon grease bigger chucks 24 hours at 125, littler pieces like straps 3 or so hours. Then char them on grill on all sides, place in fridge. Once chilled slice thin on a electric slicer. I then sprinkle some extra garlic salt on whole pile and freeze in pound packages. Favorite way to eat is on good bun with some horadish mustard and provalone cheese but will sometimes eat it in camp over instant taters and make some mushroom gravy.
That sounds delicious

Yes I wet brine elk all the time. As Cushman eluded to, there’s a difference between brining and curing. Corned and pastrami are actually cures and include among other things, pink curing salt.

Soaking a roast in salty (and sometimes sugary as well) water is a brine.

I have found that my family and guests prefer the milder and juicier final product you get when wet brined so I do it basically every time I entertain.

I also have a bunch of elk meat that was shared with me and I’m not sure how that elk died or how it was handled post shot, but it is abnormally bloody, dark, and pungent. It has been a great candidate for wet brining and curing applications.

I brine all wild turkey before it goes on the smoker too. Here are some pics of chipotle hickory smoked turkey I turned into lunch meat. C016FA00-E26B-4028-95BE-3376891550F4.jpeg7571F167-FE8B-496C-B7A5-D73CD715D19C.jpeg66C45AA9-80F7-4268-81A5-C63C16EC14AC.jpeg

Yes I wet brine elk all the time. As Cushman eluded to, there’s a difference between brining and curing. Corned and pastrami are actually cures and include among other things, pink curing salt.

Soaking a roast in salty (and sometimes sugary as well) water is a brine.

I have found that my family and guests prefer the milder and juicier final product you get when wet brined so I do it basically every time I entertain.

I also have a bunch of elk meat that was shared with me and I’m not sure how that elk died or how it was handled post shot, but it is abnormally bloody, dark, and pungent. It has been a great candidate for wet brining and curing applications.

I brine all wild turkey before it goes on the smoker too. Here are some pics of chipotle hickory smoked turkey I turned into lunch meat. View attachment 236235View attachment 236236View attachment 236237
Thank you, I'm gonna do some research on curing and brining now my food IQ has gone up alot today.

Yes , wet brined for couple days, then coat with black pepper, slow smoked and electric slicEd

or butter milk soak over night, rinsEd then cooked in a ninja 3-1 slo cooker, served on sourdough or French bread sandwich

we also have place that makes both baloney & hot dogs for us, deer , turkeys , elk
a different place makes tamales, anouther boudin sausage

Dear God that sounds good.

Back