Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Low recoil loads for muzzleloader

Nick87

So this will be my step sons first year deer hunting, he's nine and small framed for his age. He is very skittish of recoil and in Illinois only slug guns and muzzleloader are legal (I know I know). I've heard from a few people they prefer to use the muzzleloader over slugs to lighten recoil by using a lighter powder load and bullet. I was just curious if any of you guys have any experience with that or know what would be a good light load and still be adequate enough for taking deer? Thanks.

I know that with my Hawken, the bullet weight seems to make more of a difference than the powder charge. You can always have him practice with a lighter load and then bump it up some for hunting.

TC Shockwave 200 grain sabot is the way to go with a powder charge of 80-100 grains for a low recoil muzzleloader round. I have shot a few deer with them and they have always been great.

TC Shockwave 200 grain sabot is the way to go with a powder charge of 80-100 grains for a low recoil muzzleloader round. I have shot a few deer with them and they have always been great.

My daughter used that bullet on a nice sized mule deer a few years ago. It's a .40 cal bullet in a 50 cal sabot. I think we were around 80 grains of 777. Dropped that deer in its tracks.

Thanks guys I'll try a few different sabots with an 80 gr. Charge and see what shoots the best. Hopefully we'll have some pics of a successful 9 year old come november!

My wife shoots a 295 grain powerbelt and 80 grains of triple 7 and does well within 100 yards.

Are those the green-tipped PBs?? Do they expand at all for her? I used to shoot those w/ 100 grains of 777, but all the bullet would do was make a round hole (at ranges from 10-110 yards). On paper they printed great, but I was disappointed in the performance and switched to hornady/sabots (much better expansion/blood trails).

Now that my kids are getting bigger I'm in the same hunt for a low-recoil musket load, so I'm all ears!

Not the tipped ones. The copper plated hollow points. They have always had good expansion for us. I shoot them as well. They are legal here in Colorado.

Are those the green-tipped PBs?? Do they expand at all for her? I used to shoot those w/ 100 grains of 777, but all the bullet would do was make a round hole (at ranges from 10-110 yards). On paper they printed great, but I was disappointed in the performance and switched to hornady/sabots (much better expansion/blood trails).

Now that my kids are getting bigger I'm in the same hunt for a low-recoil musket load, so I'm all ears!

What muzzleloader are you having the kids shoot? I've been looking at the knight littlehorn.

The lead in those PBs is really soft and they will expand well at slower velocities. I've had good luck with them in my 54 over 90grains of FFg black powder back when I hunted the December Nebraska Muzzleloader season.

What muzzleloader are you having the kids shoot? I've been looking at the knight littlehorn.

So far it's just been my Omega off a caldwell field pod (my little guy shoots the .223 too this way). I give them a leg or a shoulder for support and make sure they keep their eyes away the scope. At 7 and 10, I'm hesitant to get a dedicated youth musket, but I may be shopping next year (neither of them will deer hunt this fall).

Thanks for the bullet info John/Mthuntr.

-tom

I'd at least give a 20ga slug gun with reduced recoil slugs a try as well. It'd be easy to work them up to it with light shot loads.

Back