Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lot # Factory Ammo Accuracy?

longtail55

Has anybody ever noticed large differences with accuracy with different lot #’s on factory ammo? Hoping for some actual experiences

Our PD Sniper rifles were 1/4 moa, and we confirmed our zero (and recorded) the new lot number in our log books. Never really noticed any change in accuracy or p.o.i. We used Federal Gold Medal Match 168 .308 Win. I doubt that if speaking of off the shelf hunting rifles with hunting grade ammo you would see much difference when changing lot numbers.

I've shot the same ammo over the course of 6 years with three different batches. They all impact in the same spot and the accuracy differences are within my personal margin of error.

I've only ever shot out to 400 with the different loads. Perhaps at extreme distances there would be differences of note, but not in my scenarios.

I have never had much if any variation, but I had heard Barnes ammo before Remington's bankruptcy could vary widely between lots. Unsure if that is the case now.

in 3 years i've been shooting my .270 i found that Hornady ELD-X groups best for me.
1st year i ended buying few boxes here and there, and with access to chronometer i did chrono them.
while i do see FPS changes between logs are greater vs spread you get in same lot, so i only adjust my ballistics app to new FPS and make sure it is Zero'd. actual groups seem to stay the same.

Has anybody ever noticed large differences with accuracy with different lot #’s on factory ammo? Hoping for some actual experiences
yes. especially a likelihood in recent years with component shortages. ammo manufacturers have sometimes changed powders or primers for a given line of ammo, which can change the way it may shoot in your rifle.

Our PD Sniper rifles were 1/4 moa, and we confirmed our zero (and recorded) the new lot number in our log books. Never really noticed any change in accuracy or p.o.i. We used Federal Gold Medal Match 168 .308 Win. I doubt that if speaking of off the shelf hunting rifles with hunting grade ammo you would see much difference when changing lot numbers.
haven't shot factory ammo in more years than I can remember. But shooting my own reloads I normally buy powder 1# cans and as such you could say I change lot numbers all the time. I can't remember the last time I had to change a load to maintain accuracy.

Not relevant to this discussion and when I am using different lot numbers of components while reloading hunting rounds I would classify the differences noted as negligible. With that being said, my daughter is a competitive precision rifle shooter and you wouldn't believe the difference different lot numbers in .22 rimfire ammo of the same type can make when testing her precision rifle. It's almost like they aren't even the same type of ammo which totally blows my mind. When we find a lot that the rifle likes we purchase in bulk because there are no guarantees that any other lots will shoot well. FYI these tests are done from a vise in a controlled environment by the ammo manufacturers.

I’ve noticed big differences in different lots of factory ammo. I once tested a federal gold 6.5 creedmoor and got great sub moa accuracy out of the one box I tried. Bought a case of 200 to use as my hunting ammo for years to come and accuracy was diminished. I noticed the lot I originally tried had SRP and the case I bought had LRP. Hand loading from here on out.

I used to try different lots for my target .22. (Shooting prone at 100 yards with a scope). Each lot would shoot a bit different. Always looked for the lots that grouped the best.

Huge pain in the butt. Worth the efforts though.

yes. especially a likelihood in recent years with component shortages. ammo manufacturers have sometimes changed powders or primers for a given line of ammo, which can change the way it may shoot in your rifle.
This ^^^ I had this exact issue with a case of 300wm ammo from hornady. I ended up calling them and gave them the lot numbers. They had to switch to a different blend of powder at some point. The new lot shot 13 inches high at 400 yards and didn't group at all while the ammo before the switch was well under moa.

I have 6 rounds of the good stuff left. I've stocked up on good components for reloading once those are gone.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back