Loading Berger VLD’s

huntin24/7

I’m looking at trying to load some 168 vld’s for a new 7mm and see guys talking about this bullet needing more specialized dies because of its shape. The Forster and Redding dies that are supposed to be better for it are hard to find right now. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have your basic rcbs rockchucker press and dies. I’ve been working on 160 accubonds and haven’t given up on them yet but so far results aren’t good enough so thought I’d try these. Thanks.

I’m assuming you’re talking about the seating stem. It’s not necessarily a Berger thing, it’s any bullet with a longer, low drag ogive design.

Try seating one with your current die set up and look (and feel) for deformation where the stem contacted the bullet. If there is an issue, you can just call RCBS and they should be able to get you a stem insert for cheap. You don’t need a whole new die, just the stem.

You can order a seating stem for vld bullets from rcbs. That said I like Redding and Forster dies better for the micrometer adjustments. The rcbs dies will work though just pull the stem and check a couple bullets, if they wobble on the tip order a die from them. I’ve done some pretty extensive reloading and hunting with the 168’s in over 20 rifles now and I can tell you for whatever reason on most I end up finding the best accuracy in the .010-.015 range off with 69 grs of h1000 pushing between 3010-3050.

This is a good upgrade to a standard die.

I have never used a specialized seating stem for high BC bullets, BUT I have one hunting load that is compressed and the standard seating stem does leave a slight ring around bullet nose that the stems intended for pointier bullets would not leave. The VLD stem would be nice to have, but if it doesn’t take a lot of force to seat your bullet, it’s not a requirement.

I contacted Berger and they were quick to get back to me with good info about reloading their bullets. I’ve been using fed 215 mag primers because I got a good deal on a bunch of them. Anyone have better luck with the 7mm with cci’s or something else, or are those as good as any for the most part generally speaking?

I always start with Fed215M and have had excellent results. Once you find your powder node and seating depth you can test primers.
Assuming your loading for a 7mm Rem Mag I would recommend H1000 or Retumbo with the 168VLD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back