Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Llama Drama - Part Deux The Lazy Bugler

Who did you rent the llamas from? I’ve done that twice and love them. Any lessons you learned that you can share about your llama experience?

Very enjoyable read! Great photos and really nice mix w/ video clips! Nice to have two hunting for the video/pic aspect. Well done.

Grats! Very cool w/ llamas. Speaking of... general $ from start to finish for the llamas?

Very enjoyable read! Great photos and really nice mix w/ video clips! Nice to have two hunting for the video/pic aspect. Well done.

Grats! Very cool w/ llamas. Speaking of... general $ from start to finish for the llamas?
We split the cost, my share was $580.

Awesome story and trip! I feel like you still left us hanging on the kamakazi deer though! Nothing about the new hunting rig?!?! And what ended up happening to the deer? Haha
That 4am drive to Salida, doe and fawn crosses the road and then the fawn got scared and stepped back into the road.

I actually hit another one an hour later, deer spooked and ran into the side of the van.

Corolla is still intact but this is a multi week adventure so I put a floor into moms old minivan.

Free 00’ Sienna with 230k miles, $19 for glue, construction scraps and I have myself one of those nifty camper vans.
94DA2535-872E-4412-8AB7-74FEE5E3E0DF.jpeg

Who did you rent the llamas from? I’ve done that twice and love them. Any lessons you learned that you can share about your llama experience?
Llamas are definitely mission specific and require time.

This is my second hunting trip and like 5th hunting trip.

After a long day in the trailer you can’t get them to go very far, generally speaking golden hour is grazing time and they don’t want to walk 4-7pm. They will do it but they will fight you. Plan to hike in far enough to camp but don’t plan the day you pick them up to be a long day (5 miles max).

Pace tends to be 1.5-2 mph. I can out pack and hike a llama any day of the week, I hike 3-4.5mph so walking in with them seems like a torturous stroll. You definitely luxuriate in the burden they carry for you on the way out.

It’s nice not to have to watch them or carry feed.

Honest assessment, llamas are a tool they are best for base camps far from the road. If I’m hunting 5 miles or under from the car not worth the hassle, at that distance they are an impedance.

Last edited:
Epic write up, man!! Really enjoyed the story and the high quality pics. Keep it up!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back