Llama Drama - A Tale of Sloth

Great write up and photos. Looks and sounds like a grand adventure was had by all. I'll agree with a few of the other members in that your bull is likely fairly old based on the wear of those ivories.

That's an awesome adventure man congrats on a great bull. A guy I hunted mountain goats with this year the llama topic came up several times. Might become more of a reality sooner than later.

Looking at those Ivories I would "guess" 12 -13 years old by looking at the Ivories and the Antlers. I can judge better by looking at the whole mouth of teeth. For instance, on the upper jaw how many teeth were missing and how worn down were the molars? On the lower jaw, how worn down were the front 6 teeth? As a Bull Elk gets older (past 9 or 10 years) their antlers will regress in size, mass and points. Looking at your pictures I would say 12-13 years old.

Great write up! I know you have more in your head that will be a lasting memory!
Andy

Great result and report, the Llamas do open up more area's to hunters.
Man the guy who arrowed that Elk must have felt sick!
As for gun weight, my rifle with scope weighed almost 12lb's, if I ever get back over there is no way I'm taking a heavy rifle with me.
If I drove around the roads where I live with antlers on the roof I would have anti's following me home!
Your photo's were great.
Cheers
Richard

I love the corolla pic! Now I don't feel so bad keeping the F250 home this week when I drive the Audi Q7 to NM... ( using friends truck once there). The 28 MPG is way better on the wallet than 13 in the truck.

Great Story and pics too! Awesome!

Awesome work and a great write-up! Always fun to see hard work pay off...(the llamas worked hard, right?) :LOL:

I'm still looking for the Sloth in all of this, and one with a tail no less. Anybody can pack out an elk with a llama, but whoever heard of a pack train of sloths. Of course, they aren't known for stepping right along, so it might be faster to carry it out on your own, but still, I'd pay money to see a pack sloth in action, especially one with a tail.

I'm still looking for the Sloth in all of this, and one with a tail no less. Anybody can pack out an elk with a llama, but whoever heard of a pack train of sloths. Of course, they aren't known for stepping right along, so it might be faster to carry it out on your own, but still, I'd pay money to see a pack sloth in action, especially one with a tail.
Point taken ;) sometimes you really remind me of my thesis adviser.

Do have a preference 2 or 3 toed...

I'm watching Colbert Late Night now, his guest is Julie Andrews! Small planet. Bumper music is Chim Chiminey." She asked about you.

Seems like a nice lady ;)

Talk about small world I actually bumped into Colbert in Prague a few years ago watching the new year's eve fireworks in old town square.

I want to like you @wllm1313 , I really do. But every time you post a successful hunt I hate you a little more. Especially so when everything looks so proper and well done while I run around the mountains like a squirrel with his tail on fire. sigh, hats off to you for another successful hunt *toots a small horn*

I leave out the screw ups to protect my reputation as the ultimate outdoorsman ;)

Seriously through my mistakes are a time a dozen, and if I wrote up my first couple hunts you would never take me seriously again.

@ajricketts

First backpack hunt... pack weighed maybe like 80lbs going in, probably had 10 full nalgenes of water because I was so worried about running out... ended carrying the full pack around all day, didn't see anything so camped back at the truck. Sleeping bag was rated to 25 and temp dropped well below 15 degrees... woke up spooning my BIL which he wasn't exactly stoked about.

This was a bear hunt in ID, and they don't have a meat salvage requirement so I left the meat, something that makes me sick to this day.

What else... got the gun so jammed that my BIL had to take it apart for me (luckily I killed the bear in 1-shot), neck was sore for about a week after I got home from lugging my binos around on a neck strap...

1571773789327.png

First elk hunt, one of my favorites because I got to do it with my dad... this time I ran out of water because I packed so little because of this ^ trip. No elk were harmed or seen in the making of that adventure.
1571774308964.png

Second elk hunt: All time favorite, spend 5 days hunting with my dad and my FIL. Found out that if you put an old hippy and an old red neck in a truck together with a case of bud they will in fact not kill each other but rather become drinking buddies, finish the case, and then scare all the elk away snoring.
We saw a cow and my FIL called a spike into our lunch spot, my dad was so worried about the sound of the gun he put his fingers in his ears and closed his eyes and it was a full minute of my FIL and I laughing before he opened them and realized no one was going to shoot. Nothing was killed on this trip other than a couple of cases of red-white-and delicious.

1571774354713.png

1571774377169.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back