MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Llama Drama - A Tale of Sloth

AvidIndoorsman

So after grinding out my muley hunt I decided I no longer wanted to carry heavy things. I debated getting a lighter rifle, tried to rethink what was in my pack, briefly (very briefly) considering going to the gym more per @JLS and @Europe 's advice... but that didn't really sound enjoyable.

So I took option Randy and found some llamas, I also recruited some naive friends from Alaska to come down hunt with me... those suckers fell for the old "oh yeah it's gonna be great... camp fires... micro brews... it's gonna be great"...

The trip commenced...
1571403958307.png

The hired help wasn't amused by walking 9 miles the first day... Juniper thought the 12 pack of La Croix (we are entitled millennial's) was a little BS... I don't know what his problem was I felt great after that hike. Also pro tip a 10lb rifle feels like nothing, when that's all your carrying (starting to see what people like going guided, I enjoyed prancing down the trail like a little sprite... I almost had Julie Andrew's moment 5 miles in)
1571404334409.png

Moral improved once we made camp and busted out the llama treats.

1571404400881.png

Hunting commenced and elk were located.

1571404455575.png

1571404489942.png

#coloradoherdbull
1571404522515.png

The scenery was appreciated
1571404658053.png

Sheds were found
1571404691342.png

Naps were enjoyed

1571404736985.png

Artsey photos for instagram were taken #nature
1571404782559.png

While walking back to camp, a bull presented himself and a shot was fired. (120 etip, from my .264 win mag... 150 yards on the nose)

1571404894598.png

Found something that belonged to another hunter

1571404944467.png

Packing commenced... walking out with a cold la croix in my hand while my elk was born by others I almost felt a little guilty (lies I didn't, but I want to keep up my image)

1571405002037.png

Given that it was a 11.5 mile pack out we took it in two days and gave packers a break.

The ubiquitous tent shot for @Art Vandeley (got your back brother ;) )

1571405292619.png

The corolla was filled to capacity with the goods, the adventured was concluded, and I headed back to my desk job.
1571405258512.png

Fun facts since I had a scale:

The front leg bone after boning out the front shoulder weights 10.4 lbs, the rear 11, and the hide + lower jaw, + meat of the skull after you clean it up weights 15... so yeah if you aren't boning out/cleaning up your skull in the field your are unnecessarily carrying out close to 60lbs of stuff that will end up in a dumpster.

Last edited:
Great stuff wllm! Was that bull pretty old?

#makinghunttalkgreatagain

Great stuff wllm! Was that bull pretty old?

#makinghunttalkgreatagain

To be quite honest I’m not sure... I’m guessing 4 or 5 just based on the antlers? His teeth weren’t noticeably terrible. His buglers were tiny, the 6pt I shot 2 years ago also had very small ones while the 2.5 year old 5 point I shot last year had big ones... not sure if that’s related to age or completely unrelated.
Any idea?
CD4D6A89-BFC9-4567-B5F3-9F36AD658479.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a fun time in the (VERY DRY) back country of Colorado.

I wonder what kind of looks you got from the PETA vegan queens of Aurora as you matriculated your Corolla down the highway??

lol, driving through the Starbucks in Vail got me looks, the residents of Aurora were unphased, Aurora is one of the most diverse cities in America and pretty low income (our neighborhood especially so), when I was washing the brains out a guy in one of those pimped out caddies with hydraulics pulled up in the bay next me me, dude cracked up and gave me a fist bump.

No PETA folks in our apparent complex, I love giving meat to the older lady above us, lady can cook!

Last edited:
Honestly perfect the arrow had skipped up off the spine and was caught above the bone in the skin, kinda like a gage piercing.

Very cool and thanks for sharing! I see these stories and keep telling myself I need to get some llamas or goats.

Did the arrow puncture/sever the spinal cord? I'm curious how he died because paralysis would have been immediate.

Awesome write up! I too am a millennial, but don't understand what people like about La Croix. Count me in for gatorade and microbrews though.

How did you get the llamas to and from the trail head? Were they delivered and picked up?

My guess is that's an older bull and the ivories are worn down.

Very cool and thanks for sharing! I see these stories and keep telling myself I need to get some llamas or goats.

Did the arrow puncture/sever the spinal cord? I'm curious how he died because paralysis would have been immediate.

I think the arrow was a flesh wound and wllm's 120 gr etip was the bull's demise.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back