Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Late Season Elk Hunt 2020

kroppr_77

Starting to plan out an elk hunt for the 2020 season, but it has to be late...maybe the week of Thanksgiving, but probably December 10th through the 22nd. My dad and I will be planning out this trip, everything on our own, public land, and would like to go backcountry for the experience of that. I know it would be way easier and plausible to go earlier, but I will be in school before hand and wrapping up my final season of college football at Minnesota State. It restricts us a lot as far as seasons and states, as well as tags to be able to draw, but I am wondering what is out there and what we can go chase with a reasonable chance. I've been primarily looking at New Mexico, Wyoming, and possible 4th season rifle for Colorado as well as the possibility at the very end of Montana's general for possible destinations, but I'm open to anything else that works. For New Mexico I have found a few units that offer a possibility at a bull this late, but I was wondering if the chance to draw is really possible or if it is worth it? Otherwise in Wyoming the few units that go this late for bulls I wouldn't be able to draw with only 3 points. The route that seems the best right now would be a cow elk in Wyoming or Arizona, with 100% draw at my odds and some units of over 70% success rate. My only questions about this is the thought of burning points on a hunt like this, when you can pick them up with none or one point. Not looking for your units or anything, just wondering where I should start, or if I should wait? I kind of like the idea of a cow hunt, but it would be very hard for me to pass up at the chance to chase a bull due to my very limited opportunity to do so based off of where I live.
Thanks

Might be a bit late for "backcountry" in Wyoming as most elk have migrated to winter ranges by then, but still plenty of chance to get out in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of good cow hunt opportunities at that time for Wyoming, it won't burn your points if you go reduced price cow/calf. For the price it can't be beat IMO, plus could give you a chance to learn for when you burn those points on the bull tag. Don't know a lot about NM or AZ, I've heard there's January archery tags in AZ that aren't too hard to get.

Might be a bit late for "backcountry" in Wyoming as most elk have migrated to winter ranges by then, but still plenty of chance to get out in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of good cow hunt opportunities at that time for Wyoming, it won't burn your points if you go reduced price cow/calf. For the price it can't be beat IMO, plus could give you a chance to learn for when you burn those points on the bull tag. Don't know a lot about NM or AZ, I've heard there's January archery tags in AZ that aren't too hard to get.
thanks, I'll look into the bow tags. I also wasn't aware that a reduced price didn't burn points, definitely makes that hunt a lot more likely to happen for me.

I don't have any info to add on the elk hunt. I have never hunted that late. Good luck with you final football season. I was a teammate with Coach Glo at USD in the early 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back