Late elk for a couple friends

BuzzH

Went out for a late elk hunt with a couple friends. They fought bad weather all week so I thought I'd give them a hand. I really like Wyoming, but the relentless winds this time of year are pretty hard to tolerate.

Went to a place I've never shot elk before, but have seen them from time to time.

Glassed a spot and noticed some tracks where it looked like some elk had been feeding. With the wind blowing about 40 MPH the last 4-5 days in Wyoming, I knew the tracks were pretty new or they'd be covered by drifting snow.

Went a ways further and there they were a small herd with 3 spikes and maybe 14-15 cows. The guys made a short stalk and got into position at 275 yards.

Both made excellent shots with their 7 RM's and had their elk, both are 6/6 on elk the past 5 years. Fun time is spite of the crap weather.

IMG_20221216_091757119.jpg

IMG_20221216_101023758.jpg

40888.jpeg

got on some elk last night in wyo. Took me 2 hours to hike 3.5 miles to them. Ultimately had a shot opportunity, but it was 4:30 PM, 5 degrees, wind howling, and my water had frozen. Needless to say pulling the trigger would have resulted in an unsafe situation.

Now I can’t fuggin find em again. Buzz drop me some good juju

Need that freakin cheap spotting scope again. So bitter.

got on some elk last night in wyo. Took me 2 hours to hike 3.5 miles to them. Ultimately had a shot opportunity, but it was 4:30 PM, 5 degrees, wind howling, and my water had frozen. Needless to say pulling the trigger would have resulted in an unsafe situation.

Now I can’t fuggin find em again. Buzz drop me some good juju

Need that freakin cheap spotting scope again. So bitter.
Last weekend, I "lost" about 500 of them...here today gone tomorrow. Seems impossible to just not find that many elk again, but its pretty common on the late hunts.

I never let an opportunity slip by anymore, I used to pass on ones that were too far from the road. That ship has sailed.

I never let an opportunity slip by anymore, I used to pass on ones that were too far from the road. That ship has sailed.

Agreed. That’s why I started chasing them at 2:30 yesterday.

I glassed em up and thought, oh that’s only like 1.5 miles, plenty of time. Ended up being 3.5.

Just over the next ridge, oh wait, must be that ridge, nope definitely the next, wait gotta be the next one… eff man

Not real sure, temperature was 5 degrees, winds were 25-40+ MPH...so, a bit chilly with the wind.
That’s plenty cold!

About 5 years ago I was at a glassing spot before daylight. The temp was -11 according to the truck and we had a 10-15mph wind. There wasn’t a soul around until about a half hour after daylight, when an old timer that appeared to be in his 70s drove up. He hops out of his truck and comes over to mine. He walks up and sticks his hand out to shake mine and says “only us hardcore motherf*ckers out here today.” I laughed fairly hard at that one, and I’m certain I’ll never forget that old man!

I've never worn two layers under my hunting clothes until this late season hunt for bull elk in Wyoming. That includes a face mask 100% of the time. The wind has really sucked this year.

And of course, the elk didn't cooperate until the last day!

Last edited:
I've never worn two layers under my hunting clothes until this late season hunt for bull elk in Wyoming. That includes a fask mask 100% of the time. The wind has really sucked this year.

One day was so nasty my partner used ski goggles. After trying them myself, I highly recommend them on the brutal days.

I've never worn two layers under my hunting clothes until this late season hunt for bull elk in Wyoming. That includes a fask mask 100% of the time. The wind has really sucked this year.

That's what separates elk hunters that find success every year from those that don't....staying the course and going in spite of the weather. Great bull you took.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back