Last minute Ibex

David658

Had pretty well given up on the Ibex hunt, since my wife has been out of town caring for her dad. She got home Tuesday, and on Wednesday I got a call from a friend basically telling me he was taking me on the hunt. Partly on the pretext that he has a javalina tag, partly simple enthusiasm for hunting and wanting me to get out.

I am NOT good at packing for a hunt the day before - I'm one of those anal-retentive-pack-for-a-month kind of hunters. Kind of figuring that my odds of getting a critter are about the same whether I remember my ammo or not, so as long as I take my sleeping bag (been forgotten before) and toilet paper (ditto) I should be ok.

Sheesh...I didn't think I needed so much shtuff to go hunting.....

Pics and videos to follow, but purely the most inhospitable piece of ground I have ever encountered. My buddy got his javalina, purely the most nasty smelling animal I have ever been around - matches the terrain, I guess. Between the two of us, did see four animals, but the closest was over 1000 yards away, and maybe a 1000 feet up. Beautiful critter, but no way to get close, and mine was a nanny hunt and he had horns. Blown off the mountain today - 40mph winds on top, surrendered as I'd almost have to make a contact shot with crosswinds like that. But a great adventure, and a very blessed couple of days of re-creation.

David
NM

I got to go on a nanny hunt a few years ago. Ranks as one of the most awesome and scary hunts I've ever been on!
I'd give a lot for a Billy tag.

Also learned some things about what I need to carry in my rig just in case.

My old arthritic knee has been forgiving, too.

You can have my Billie tag - not putting in there again, I think. Country just too rough for this old boy, but it was a good experience.

Tough hunt, not many people can handle the effort required day after day. At least you went!
Glad I went, and I will put in again. I realize that I can still get fit enough, but I better spend the next year getting so. If I don't draw, at least I'll be in shape for elk/deer/oryx/pronghorn/squirrels....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back