Caribou Gear Tarp

Last ditch effort elk

BuzzH

With spending so much time sheep hunting, I didn't get a single day to hunt on my general tag.

George and I decided to give it a go, yesterday, the last day of the season.

First spot we looked, found a cow and calf but decided to pass.

Went to the next spot, with the local winds cooperating perfectly and found a knot of 50 or so elk, 7 bulls the rest cows and calves.

Nothing real good bull wise, 5 rags and 2 spikes. Had them over a barrel with the closest elk at 150, furthest at 200. I looked them all over and decided to leave the bulls alone as its open for any elk. Found a cow off by herself on the edge of the herd, obviously no calf with her.

Shot it tight behind the shoulder at 175 yards with my 7-08 and 140 grain nosler accubond. She whirled went about 20 yards and fell in the foot of snow. Balmy 3 degrees and perfect elk hunting weather for the one morning I got to spend hunting general elk this year. Had it back to the truck by lunchtime. George and I found several other herds of elk, some in rifle range, but with George and I each having a tag good until the end of January in another unit...we called it good with the one.

IMG_3454.jpg

Heck of a season for you Buzz. Nice antelope, nice ram and now nice meat packages in the freezer.

Congrats!

I appreciate that you always share your hunts with us. Nice work.

Great conservation decision, IMO. Congrats!

Great looking cow! That's going to make a ton of delicious meals!
I'm going back the first of December to try to fill my cow tag in area 8. Hopefully I will have better luck this trip than when I went in September which was way too early in that unit (6 days zero elk even spotted haha)
I lucked up and got another week of annual leave since I had some time to burn so I'm going to try to make the best of it.

Congrats on the elk Buzz. I know you have said you don't kill doe antelope anymore, so just out of curiosity, why not, and why do you kill cow elk?

Congrats on the elk Buzz. I know you have said you don't kill doe antelope anymore, so just out of curiosity, why not, and why do you kill cow elk?

Mainly don't shoot doe pronghorn because I can get 2 buck tags and if my wife shoots one, that's plenty of pronghorn steaks. Plus, I've just shot enough of them and would rather see others get the tags that I would have otherwise drawn. Spread the opportunity to others if you will.

I shoot cow elk because its a lot of meat quick and they're really plentiful. I also really enjoy hunting cows and in this case, just flat didn't see any good reason to kill an average bull this year, that will be a better bull next year. I also want to see opportunity persist as far as hunting days go in the area I hunt, which means bull to cow ratio's need to stay above 18/100 to keep the longer season. If it drops below 18/100 the GF will reduce days and/or make spike bulls off limits. I like opportunity, in particular future opportunity verses just what I can legally kill today.

I also try incredibly hard to never shoot a cow with a calf...that's more a personal choice and a way to limit myself on what I choose to kill.

I have no problem with people shooting whatever they choose to, doe pronghorn, cow elk, bull elk, big bulls, spikes, doesn't matter to me. What I choose to kill does matter to ME.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back