Caribou Gear

Kind of a big deal. The search for a comfortable boot is over.

44hunter45

Work finally brought me back around again to Kellogg, ID. I spent about an hour at the Hoffman Boot factory trying on boots.

Lowa=N
La Sportiva=N
Scarpa=N
Meindl=N
Crispi=N
Hoffman 8" Explorer= Y
11.5US Wide, uninsulated
I knew it the instant I put my foot in. No hot spots or binds, snug in the heel, enough room in the toes to wiggle.

No questions asked return until I commit by wearing them outside.

I've had two pair of meindl boots that fit my foot perfectly. You gotta find the right boot for your foot, and it sounds like you did. My only complaint with the meindl boots is that they get zero traction on slick surfaces. Been thinking about checking out some schnees for my next pair, I hear they're better with traction when it gets frosty and everythings wet and slick.

I've had two pair of meindl boots that fit my foot perfectly. You gotta find the right boot for your foot, and it sounds like you did. My only complaint with the meindl boots is that they get zero traction on slick surfaces. Been thinking about checking out some schnees for my next pair, I hear they're better with traction when it gets frosty and everythings wet and slick.

The Meindl 10" were a close second for me. Just a bit too tight over the ball of my foot.

I tried Schnee's and Kenetrek on a Bozeman run last year. Nice boots but not for me.

I also have a pair of Meindls. Perfect fit and very comfortable. Unfortunately, zero traction where I would use them the most so they were quickly relegated to yard work.

I also have a pair of Meindls. Perfect fit and very comfortable. Unfortunately, zero traction where I would use them the most so they were quickly relegated to yard work.
It's too bad about the traction. They're comfortable boots, and they hold up to a lot of abuse. But I busted my butt about 5 times coming off the ridge where I killed my bull last year. I need to either get some crampons or a new pair of boots for hunting when it gets slick.

Went for a short break-in walk yesterday. They felt so good I just kept going. 5 miles and a lot of vertical later I feel like I know the ins and outs. At one point I was feeling for the edge of a stream with my treking pole and slipped right in with both feet. Waterproof test passed...
Had a little toe cram going downhill until I stopped and re-laced them.

I guess I’m pretty lucky. Never had a pair of Danner’s I had to break in. Irish Setters on the other hand; Ow! Ow! Ow! Ahhhhh.

I went with Crispi Guide’s. My issue is I have nowhere local to try on mountain boots. That is a bummer with the price of a good pair of boots being what it is.

The Crispi feels good after probably 10 miles with a 40’ish pound pack but I have nothing to compare them to except my Danner work boots and a pair of Red Head hiking boots. The Crispi’s of course blow those out of the water.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back