Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Kenetrek Question

elk_hunter

Gents, does anyone have any experience with the 'KENETREK HARDSCRABBLE HIKER LT' boots? I'm looking to switch from Danner's (they are too damn narrow for my feet) and I don't know if I can take another season in them. I will be trying a pair on this weekend at a local shop to see how they feel but does anyone have any comments on these Hardscrabble Hikers? Durability, waterproof, wear, break-in, anything, etc?

Best boot I've worn and straight out of the box ta boot. Absolutly no break in required for me.

Best boot you'll ever own if you select the Kenetrek. Having said that, you really do need to try them on if you can. You might find they are not what your feet like and may have to go with a Hanwag or Meindl.

How about fitting?

I tried on a pair of 10.5 and 11 - seems I'm in the middle of the two. So, do I go with my gut and stay at 10.5, or go with 11 thinking that my feet will expand with hiking/gear/packing meat? Do you think the 10.5s can handle my foot expansion? Kenetrek's office isn't open on weekends so I can't ask the experts. What do you guys all think?

Go with the 11 unless it simply has too much room for your foot to move front to rear easily. I'd change out the factory insoles and put in some Superfeet as well. The extra space, if not too much, will allow movement of your toes and allow for better circulation

Thanks, Scott. I'm concerned about too much foot slop in the boot even with the laces cinched down (no thanks, blisters). I wonder if that's really an issue. Though, with an aftermarket insert, that will eat up room which should push me into the 11, right? I have high arches and have bordered plantar fasciitis before so I wonder if Superfeet would be the best orthotic.

I would go with the 10.5. They will mold to your feet and break in a little better. Had the same pair since 07. The best boot i have ever worn.

If your in between you definitely want to go up to the 11. Staying with the 10.5 might feel good at first but you`ll regret it once you are going down a steep hill especially with weight on your back because you'll smash your toes in the front of the boot, not fun to lose toenails. You are correct in thinking the Superfeet will take up a little more room.

Having a high arch the Superfeet "green" insoles are very good, they also have a more cupped heal which will help take up room in the heal pocket for you in the 11's. Another solid option is the heat moldable insoles from Sole. They come in 3 different thicknesses to help you get a better fit in your boots, I personally have a low volume foot so the Sole Ultra(the thick one) works awesome for me to take up extra room in the boots. Let me know if anymore ?'s

I tried the Hardscrabbles in size 9.0 D and later in 9.5 D. They didn't work for me. I lost toenails on both feet. The toebox was too tight for my foot. I loved the support and the traction but both became irrelevant because of discomfort. Jim Winjum at Kenetrek is a good guy but ultimately fit was my problem. I would have another pair if they worked out the sizing issue. I have worn both Meindl Perfekt and the Denali in size 9.5 D without incident. The support was about the same but the traction was way better in the Hardscrabble. No toebox problems with the Meindl.

Thanks guys. I called and chatted with Kenetrek support and I'm going to give the 11s a run - with the double layer socks (which I didn't try them on with originally; just a single layer) and custom insert, 11 ought to be just right. So we'll see! :D

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back