Judgement call

Dougfirtree

So, I'd appreciate a few other perspectives. I'm in the process of working up a load for my new hunting rifle (Tikka T3x lite in 7mm-08). I've been working with the 140 grain E-tip and found a promising load that I'd like to play with more. The load is:
140 E-tip, 41.5 grains varget @2.775" (Fed case, WLR)
I've shot two groups with it now, they measured 1" and 15/16" velocity is right around 2790. Barrel is 22.4" The primers look fine, flattened a bit, but fine, and the bolt lift feels ok. Still, the available load data and the velocity make me think I must be right up near max. Nosler lists 42 as max, but I think that's really for the ballistic tips, accubonds, etc. They definitely hint that you won't neccessarily get to the same charges with the e-tip.
So, if those MOA groups held out to 200 and 300 yards, I'd call that a pretty good load and be fine with it. But, normally, at this point, before I did that, I'd shorten the OAL a bit and see if that tightened things up. The pressure signs tell me I could probably do that. The data and velocity tells me maybe that's pushing it. What do you think? Also, anyone ever lengthen a load and get better accuracy? I suppose I could increase OAL a tad and reduce pressure and see what the group looked like... Maybe I'm being a bit ridiculous here, in terms of caution, but what would you do?

I’d say you have some room to add more powder. If your bolt isn’t tight when opening it you have some room to work with. Only loads I’ve ever really messed with in terms of length are with berger bullets. Other than that I seem to do ok with oal in load manuals.

Your load is probably on the top end judging by velocity but if you don’t have ejector marks or hard bolt lift I personally would be ok with it.

Also I wouldn’t worry to much about seating the bullet a bit deeper. I’d go .005 or .010 at a time. I would test a little longer also.

Use a little caution as Lengthening your OAL will usually increase pressure if you are loaded close to the lands also.

Looking at the Barnes manual your right up near the max. Remember that the lead free bullets are longer than equal weighted lead bullets. So if you wanted to increase the powder charge it I’d go up in 0.1 grain increments until you get pressure signs. Then back it down to where you’re comfortable with pressure/velocity/accuracy

It’s not likely you will come anywhere close to blowing yourself up either way you go. Not in a modern rifle with book loads. Case pressure in relationship to seating depth- Highest pressure typically will be at 0 jump (touching the rifling) than decrease as bullet is pulled away from rifling (increase in jump/shortening coal) until a certain point (different for every case,powder,bullet combination) than start to increase again as case capacity decreases.

I think in your specific situation, load/rifle/combo your about right in the middle of that range, ASSUMING YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR BULLET TOUCHES THE RIFLING. I would be comfortable going .010-.030 either direction. Worst case you get a sticky bolt/little flatter primer

Last edited:
Several things.

1) Nosler uses a 26" barrel for it's data on 7mm-08. Why, when almost all manufacturers use 22" barrels is beyond me. Industry standard is actually 24".
Hence your velocities should be lower (almost 25 fps per inch) for your rifle.

2) You don't specify what your COAL is. Nosler specifies 2.770" , but that is just to insure it shoots in every firearm. E-Tip should be loaded 0.050" off the lands.

3) While they don't specifically say it, i've found, as have others, that a crimp sometimes does help.

I cant believe Tikka (Sako) would ever design an action that was so sensitive that you COULD blow yourself up unless you’re grossly negligent, which i cant imagine you are. If your velocity is pretty consistent, I’d vary the seating depth in both directions to see what it likes. I use 0.010” increments. I also use 5-shot groups in case something weird happens. You already have an MOA load in a light weight hunting rifle. Improvements will be icing on the cake.
Cheers!

How far off the lands are you? You should know that before you "lengthen" . Typically most guys start .020 off and work from there going upto .100 off or even more jump with factory rifles.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back