PEAX Equipment

Issue installing a Timney trigger in a Browning X-Bolt....

Arch Stanton

I just installed a Timney trigger on my Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. The safety works great and the trigger pull is exactly as I wanted it! The problem? My bolt won't stay in the gun................what am I missing here? Nothing locks the bolt in anymore when I cycle the bolt.

Thanks for the help!

Answered my own question, well, actually, Timney did

When I took off the factory trigger and removed the bolt, a small spring fell out of the bolt-button on the left hand side of the action. When I installed the new trigger and reassembled everything back together, I forgot this small spring. The spring is back and the bolt stops right where it should when you cycle it

The bolt button doesn't work with the Timney trigger (If you haven't read the other threads on this topic)

Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes

Call Timney. They have excellent customer service 623-223-111

Jill was top notch. Ran and grabbed a trigger and an x-bolt action, walked me through it, and was very patient when she asked me if there was a small spring on my workbench that I might not be sure where it goes.............

AWESOME customer service

Glad it worked out. I was considering a new trigger in my x-bolt but liked the look of the gold trigger so I switched out the springs and works great.

You guys got me curious. I have the bolt long range. What is it you don’t like about the stock trigger? What advantages do you find with the new one?

The stock trigger I could only get down to 3.7 lbs when I adjusted myself. I had read too many negative reviews about the spring kits. There was some creep. There wasn't a consistent breaking point. I have a few Timney's and a few Jewell triggers and once you fire them, its really hard to go back

The Timney you can adjust the pull weight, the creep, and the follow through. You can set them light for load development and then increase the pull weight when you hunt, or you can leave the pull weight where it is. A few friends have nicer triggers than these, but for the price, a Timney or a Jewell really improves my shooting accuracy and consistency because I know when the trigger will break and can adjust that threshold myself.

The stock trigger I could only get down to 3.7 lbs when I adjusted myself. I had read too many negative reviews about the spring kits. There was some creep. There wasn't a consistent breaking point. I have a few Timney's and a few Jewell triggers and once you fire them, its really hard to go back

The Timney you can adjust the pull weight, the creep, and the follow through. You can set them light for load development and then increase the pull weight when you hunt, or you can leave the pull weight where it is. A few friends have nicer triggers than these, but for the price, a Timney or a Jewell really improves my shooting accuracy and consistency because I know when the trigger will break and can adjust that threshold myself.
Thanks! I tried to adjust mine and definitely found that it was inconsistent on lbs to break.

I put a MCARBO spring in my HC LR figured I would try the 12 dollar spring and then go for the Timney if I didn't like it, I have not had any trouble with it. Those rifles shoot great!! The factory trigger would not go low enough for me as well, now it is set at 2lbs and still has the cool gold!!

I put a MCARBO spring in my HC LR figured I would try the 12 dollar spring and then go for the Timney if I didn't like it, I have not had any trouble with it. Those rifles shoot great!! The factory trigger would not go low enough for me as well, now it is set at 2lbs and still has the cool gold!!

The gold trigger is really cool......

I had the same experience as @Huntmt28 but was nervous because I have used Trigger Tech triggers in my other guns and it's hard going from something like that to something that breaks at 3.5 lbs. I don't have any creep in mine but I know others have as @Arch Stanton mentioned.

It was cool that it worked out with the 12 bucks on the spring but well worth it.

Did any of you all have poi shift after installing the trigger? Just got mine delivered but not sure I’ll get more than a day at the range before season.

Recently purchased a X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed Long Range and the factory trigger does leave a lot to be desired. So I ordered the Mcarbo spring kit. After installing the spring, the trigger is much better all the way around.

Back