Is this normal for a rimfire?

AlaskaHunter

I have a Remington 581S bolt action 22.
It has a ring of scratches just in the chamber side of the barrel.
The rest of the barrel lands/grooves and crown look fine.
Is this rng of scratches normal in a rimfire? Thanks.
bolt_action_22lr.jpg

I can't quite tell what's going on in the photo, but from what you've described it sounds like there are scratches the first 0.1" of the rifling or so? I know this can happen when you shoot CCI Stingers, which have a longer case, in a match chamber. The case actually engages the rifling in that situation because it's longer than a standard 22lr case.

I can't quite tell what's going on in the photo, but from what you've described it sounds like there are scratches the first 0.1" of the rifling or so? I know this can happen when you shoot CCI Stingers, which have a longer case, in a match chamber. The case actually engages the rifling in that situation because it's longer than a standard 22lr case.
Thanks....that makes sense.
I looked it up and CCI Stingers are .694" while standard .22 Long Rifle cartridge .595".
The Stinger case is 0.010" longer than a standard long rifle case.

The Remington 581 bolt action is supposed to be a fairly accurate 22 and I am guessing that scratched ring is effecting accuracy?

Last edited:
Theoretically it would decrease accuracy, but I’d be more concerned if it were the last 0.1” at the muzzle instead of the first 0.1” at the chamber.

Crown and rifling look good.
WIN_20210102_09_30_24_Pro.jpg
Comments from a gunsmith forum indicate more likely there was something on the original reamer pilot that scratched the throat
at the start of the reaming process.
Since brass is much softer than steel, they don't think the longer case would scratch a ring like that.

I ordered a new barrel for $60....

How is the accuracy at the moment, with the scratches?
Poor accuracy...I can not keep ten shots within a quarter at 25 yards.

The action and barrel channel has been glass-bedded.
The trigger is also heavy and variable...5lbs 3oz to 6lbs 3oz in 10 samples.
So both the barrel and trigger may be part of the problem.
The trigger is non-adjustable, but a weaker spring would decrease the trigger pull,
or I hopefully can find an adjustable trigger...

Have you tried more than one type of ammo? If not, try a few different kinds (that is, if you can find a few different kinds). Also, has all of your shooting been in cold weather? My 22s become kind of finicky as the mercury drops.

Have you tried more than one type of ammo? If not, try a few different kinds (that is, if you can find a few different kinds). Also, has all of your shooting been in cold weather? My 22s become kind of finicky as the mercury drops.
Yes I originally purchased the 581S new when I was in Logan Utah in the 1980s.
It has poor accuracy since then in all temperatures with about 8 different types of ammo.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back