Iowa interstate

ol_spark

Had the unpleasant experience of driving interstate 80 both eastbound and westbound through Iowa recently. What’s up with the washboard road? Did your Government hire Pennsylvania turnpike engineers to design them because they weren’t like that on my previous trips. I thought our roads here couldn’t be matched for the incompetent workmanship but I was wrong. Not the first time I’ve been wrong but I was surprised to see how many western states have converted to wavy concrete roadways.

I drive 80 often from Ia City to Des Moines and beyond, I’ve started taking highway 30 instead. There is so much heavy truck traffic and with only two lanes the lanes are cupped where tires travel. The whole length of 80 needs to be at least 3 lanes across Iowa.
Try it in a downpour. Water pools in those cups and it is a SOB.

Geller
I understand your frustration because that’s exactly what happens to Pennsylvania roadways. Another thing they seemed to have adopted from Pa. engineering was the endless miles of one lane roads temporarily blocked by traffic cones and not a single worker in site. As I recall, in previous years, the work zones were very short and non disruptive to travel. But times change and modern practices must prevail.

Great. We leave tomorrow and will be going across 80 for a LONG way…

Thanks for the heads up!

Well look at it this way. The road sucks because there are so few construction zones to slow you down. Rejoice and Enjoy.

Frankly, I never noticed a problem, but then, I don't drive a Prius.

Good luck, and keep moving along, nothing to see here. Nope, that's not a pheasant. Just a weird chicken that got loose. Keep moving.

:)

Had the unpleasant experience of driving interstate 80 both eastbound and westbound through Iowa recently. What’s up with the washboard road? Did your Government hire Pennsylvania turnpike engineers to design them because they weren’t like that on my previous trips. I thought our roads here couldn’t be matched for the incompetent workmanship but I was wrong. Not the first time I’ve been wrong but I was surprised to see how many western states have converted to wavy concrete roadways.
Try I76 from I80 down to Denver. Good lord, it can't be worse than that, or at least wasn't the last time I traveled it a few years back. Lol.

I never want the gravel road near me paved. Yes the washboards, dust and mud when it is wet sucks, but that gravel also keeps people out of a beautiful part of the state.
My gravel road somehow got put on a route from Galena Il to Lake Superior that is mostly gravel. We get steady streams of “overland” vehicles in groups of 3,4,5 or more. I think it’s funny when they travel down our road in their souped up off-road vehicles and feel real special when they don’t even need to lock their hubs in for our road 90% of the time.
Couldn't be much worse than Illinois!
I travel to downstate IL and the roads there are horrible. No shoulder, dark, and chip rock.
Try I76 from I80 down to Denver. Good lord, it can't be worse than that, or at least wasn't the last time I traveled it a few years back. Lol.
About all that stretch of road going for it is it’s not nearly as busy as 80. It always pisses me off though because after it seems like forever going through Nebraska you are finally in CO, but still a long ways from the mountains.

Couldn't be much worse than Illinois!
I drove from Michigan to Colorado along I80 (by way of I69 in MI) and as soon as I entered Illinois it made me feel like I was in a dystopian movie driving to the only sanctuary left with no zombies. On I80 eastbound just east of Chicago I think my truck got air a couple of times; even with the double axle trailer attached. The level of 'goat-trail' of the roads I took, starting with the worst, was I80 in Illinois, I69 south of Lansing MI, then I80 in Iowa. I actually didn't even notice the washboard for most of it.

Look at this communist.

Sir I would rather pay tolls and fix various parts of my vehicles for thousands each year rather than pay hundreds in taxes. #american #conservative

What's amazing is I pay about $800/year on vehicle registration for only two vehicles, and it still sucks that bad.

I never want the gravel road near me paved. Yes the washboards, dust and mud when it is wet sucks, but that gravel also keeps people out of a beautiful part of the state.
I'll be the 1st to admit,I'm a grateful, ingrate...

I don't think our roads are that bad. There are a few bad stretches sure, but also very heavy traffic on I-80. I guess I came from Illinois where the roads are absolutely horrible so maybe I don't know what 'good' roads are?

Back