Idaho unit 46 OTC

Sheffield5k

So I live in 46, and this year's draw for the tags I thought I'd for sure get went straight down the tubes. So I'm pondering this silly OTC tag that runs through the end of November down here in the desert within 1 mile of agricultural lands to fill my weekends with something other than honey-do's.

I did draw the 46 archery pronghorn tag but I've got that covered.

Now I've spent lots of time running around out here, north to south and east to west, and I've never seen an elk in 46. However I know there are some out there because the harvest statistics tell me so. I've chased deer all over 46 (Never actually killed one here but who doesn't need a weekend of hiking). I have called the local biologist but he hasn't returned my call yet. I've got a few areas picked from e-scouting that I "like" but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out a bit and pick and choose the better ones based on their experience.

You may have a hard time getting info on specific OTC elk spots, especially for a unit that you reside in.

I'd say your best bet is talking to the alfalfa and grain growers in the area. if you are perceived as a decent individual most will show you where they see elk.

You may have a hard time getting info on specific OTC elk spots, especially for a unit that you reside in.
I kinda figured, I'm not gonna cry about it, was hoping someone might do away with some of the bad spots at least, just odd that I've never seen an elk out there but such is life.

Head south out of town on castleford road.
Then west on 3700 then south on lily grade road.Screenshot_20200624-160230_onX Hunt.jpg
It's 16 mi from town I know where a couple of big boys are closer to town but I wanted to make you work for it

Don't tell anyone ;)
I won't, had that pegged as a possible spot, now it's time to decide if the internet sarcasm I detect is real or not. I've seen deer feed in most of those fields. A trip to stomp around with the dog in the desert should be fun ;)

You and 200 of your closest buddies.
He will probably end up in the corn on sfc after the internet catches up to him.
Thank Bart brackett when you see him!

You and 200 of your closest buddies.
He will probably end up in the corn on sfc after the internet catches up to him.
Thank Bart brackett when you see him!
Lol prolly, I was there the day that bull at the Rogerson store was killed on the highway, they’re out there somewhere....

Ive seen a lot of elk in that unit during deer season, but I hunt in the middle of nowhere and not next to private. My guess is you'll be hiking next to your 200 closest buddies just like @elkmagnet stated. Might have to fork out some $$ to get permission on a chunk of land. Might actually be cheaper than driving to another unit and hunting for a week 🤷‍♂️

74E86AC4-6374-4E12-8C21-FEBA26431EFF.pngBe sure to donate to the access yes fund. It looks like there is plenty of access and the game is catching them where they are not supposed to be.

The biologist gave me a bit of info, a tiny nugget at least. I don't think it'll be easy by no means but we'll see, I'm gonna knock on doors this weekend if I can get over my anxiety of rejection.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back