Idaho Sheep Grazing Permits Retired

Good news. I wish they would expand honoring the intent of allotment holders who desire to retire their allotments in other parts of the country. Right now, in Montana, if someone retires their allotment, the Forest Service (thanks to Congress) cannot promise that such allotment will not be reissued to a different operator. Reissuing the allotment to a different operator pretty much defeats the purpose the allotment owner had in retiring the allotment.

This is hopefully a good step forward toward expanding that idea.

Good news. I wish they would expand honoring the intent of allotment holders who desire to retire their allotments in other parts of the country. Right now, in Montana, if someone retires their allotment, the Forest Service (thanks to Congress) cannot promise that such allotment will not be reissued to a different operator. Reissuing the allotment to a different operator pretty much defeats the purpose the allotment owner had in retiring the allotment.

This is hopefully a good step forward toward expanding that idea.
I'm a bit surprised by this stance. It gives quite the weight to an individual over the management of federal lands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back